1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could you give me some tips on looking for primary sources for a Biology 1 lab report

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    Hi. I've been having problems finding some primary sources for my lab report for days.
    I've used my school's search engines, but I can't find anything appropriate to use. My report will sum up my experiment on how pH affects an enzyme's activity (catecholase catalyzing catechol and oxygen to make benzoquinone) . I've searched using all combinations of words I could think of, but still I leave with nothing but a headache...

So, my question is "Is there a website with (free full) articles that aren't so specific?? Something that I can understand and use for such a simple experiment. I know what I want my sources to say, but I can't find it in any peer reviewed, original research.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    Re: Could you give me some tips on looking for primary sources for a Biology 1 lab re

if you are in university then you will have to log in from your university email address and then use the library services to be able to get journal articles for free, if you are not doing that then you will not be able to access anything related to your lab report free. sometimes google scholar gives free articles too but they are usually very old and out dated and sometimes unspecific so that might be what you are looking for. as for specification. everything you come across will be very very specific so trick is to just use relevant articles like for catecholase catalyzing catechol, you can actually just use an article that talks about catecholase only, or catecholase catalyzing something else or just catalysts that behave similar to catecholase. if the title has catecholase in it, its good enough to be used imo

4. Feb 22, 2012 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Could you give me some tips on looking for primary sources for a Biology 1 lab re

If you are at university, ask librarians for help. I have seen them doing voodoo things with scientific database search.

5. Feb 22, 2012 #4

Thanks for your replies.

I'm still trying :/.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook