Could you help me with a proof geometric progression

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving the Binomial Theorem and probability. The original poster's statistics textbook does not provide a proof, but they have found a solution involving taking a derivative and using the memoryless property of geometric distributions. The conversation also mentions that this problem can be solved using the binomial theorem, but it is actually a Bernoulli process. The conversation ends with the poster claiming to have found a proof for the problem.
Gunmo
My Statistics textbook does not prove this. The author think it is commons sense. I am not sure about this proof.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    684 bytes · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
Below is the contents of your attachment.
$$u = \sum_{n = 1}^\infty x p(1 - p)^{n - 1}$$
$$ u = \frac 1 p$$
I would not consider this a proof in any way, in part because neither x nor p is defined.

sorry typo, i attach again

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    684 bytes · Views: 379
Could you have a look new attachment please.
Thank you for finding error in attachment

Gunmo said:
Could you have a look new attachment please.
Thank you for finding error in attachment

Do you know the Binomial Theorem?

Yes, this is actually about probability.

Gunmo said:
Yes, this is actually about probability.

The proof you are looking for involves the Binomial Theorem - which, given you are dealing with a Binomial Distribution, may not be that surprising.

Hint: take out the factor of ##p## and deduce from the answer what the remaining infinite sum must be. Then try to find the trick.

Not sure yet, this eventually

Sigma ( x * k^x) 0<k<1 x = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....n=infinite

x is approach infinite,
k^x approach 0.

The answer is, 1/k.

Gunmo said:
Not sure yet, this eventually

Sigma ( x * k^x) 0<k<1 x = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....n=infinite

x is approach infinite,
k^x approach 0.

The answer is, 1/k.

I'm not sure what that all means. Here's some latex. If you reply to my post, you'll get the Latex:

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} np(1-p)^{n-1} = \frac{1}{p}$$

Instead of being a binomial distribution (it doesn't have the combinations term), it looks like it is computing the mean number of times you need to flip a (weighted)coin before it comes up heads, with "p" being the probability that heads comes up on any given throw. @PeroK gives a good hint: You need to look for a "trick" of solving the summation of ## n(1-p)^{n-1} ##. I can add to that: the trick involves taking a derivative. ## \\ ## Editing: The OP @Gunmo mentions in the original post, that the author says this is a "common sense" result. It's good to prove it mathematically, but it does make sense in that if you have a probability ## p=\frac{1}{100} ## for a success, in general you need approximately ## \bar{n}= \frac{1}{p}=100 ## tries to get a success.

Last edited:
There are a lot of ways to solve this problem...

As mentioned, you are trying to find the expected value associated with a geometric distribution here. The solutions mentioned thus far do not address convergence issues. So long as you are ok with that / understand the radius of convergence of a geometric series, I would suggest using the memoryless property of a geometric distribution.

That is: you are calculating expected number of coin flips until heads, where heads occurs with probability ##p##. Your expected value calculation is: you have one coin toss no matter what, and then with probability ##1 - p## you get a tails and thus are starting over with the exact same incremental expectation -- again because of memorylessness

## E[X] = 1 + (1-p)E[X]##

Then solve for ##E[X]##

If you are worried about convergence you either need to explicitly address radius of convergence or set this up as an absorbing state markov chain (2 states only), and use telescoping on the partitioned matrix. In the the latter case, convergence is not an issue that needs addressed. Markov chains are overkill here, but I do like the pictures associated with them, and they provide a nice alternative approach when dealing with convergence questions.

Likes Charles Link
StoneTemplePython said:
## E[X] = 1 + (1-p)E[X]##

Then solve for ##E[X]##

That's neat.

There are no convergence issues to worry about if you apply the binomial theorem.

@PeroK : Please read my post #10. I don't think it is binomial. As @StoneTemplePython says, here the OP's problem is to calculate the expected number of coin flips until heads occurs, given that heads occurs with probability p. (The OP's formula is not calculating the probability of ## k ## successes in ## n ## trials, nor the mean number of successes of a binomial distribution.) ## \\ ## Note: The "trick" that is most readily employed in solving this one is essentially the same one (taking a derivative w.r.t. ## p ##) in solving the mean ## k ## for a binomial, but this one is not the binomial distribution.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
@PeroK : Please read my post #10. I don't think it is binomial. As @StoneTemplePython says, here the OP's problem is to calculate the expected number of coin flips until heads occurs, given that heads occurs with probability p. (The OP's formula is not calculating the probability of ## k ## successes in ## n ## trials, nor the mean number of successes of a binomial distribution.) ## \\ ## Note: The "trick" that is most readily employed in solving this one is essentially the same one (taking a derivative w.r.t. ## p ##) in solving the mean ## k ## for a binomial, but this one is not the binomial distribution.

If this isn't a binomial distribution I don't know what is. True, you are calculating the mean time to get the first occurrence, but it's clearly a binomial.

PeroK said:
If this isn't a binomial distribution I don't know what is. True, you are calculating the mean time to get the first occurrence, but it's clearly a binomial.

Actually, this isn't quite right. It's a Bernoulli Process, the Binomial distribution being a number of Bernoulli trials. I've always used Binomial for both cases, where there are only two outcomes.

The binomial theorem applies in any case.

Likes Charles Link
This mean of geometric probability problem.
No statistics and Math textbook proved it. I proved it now.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 256
Likes Charles Link

What is a geometric progression?

A geometric progression is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number. For example, the sequence 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 is a geometric progression with a common ratio of 2.

How do I prove that a sequence is a geometric progression?

To prove that a sequence is a geometric progression, you need to show that each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a fixed number. You can also use the formula for the nth term of a geometric progression, which is given by a * r^(n-1), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

What is the formula for the sum of a geometric progression?

The formula for the sum of a geometric progression is given by S = a * (1 - r^n)/(1 - r), where a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. This formula can be derived using the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series.

How can I use a geometric progression in real life?

Geometric progressions can be used to model many real-life situations, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They can also be used in various fields of science, such as physics and biology, to describe and predict patterns and relationships.

Can you help me with a specific proof involving geometric progression?

Yes, as a scientist, I have a strong understanding of geometric progressions and their properties. I would be happy to assist you with any specific proof that you may need help with. Please provide more details about the proof and I will do my best to guide you through it.