Could you hold a super string?

• Thread starter computergeek6933
  • Start date

computergeek6933

Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I have merely one quetsion..... if one were to "hold" a superstring, that is, to prevent it from vibrating, what would happen?

LURCH

Science Advisor
I believe it would cease to exist. AIUI, superstrings are made of nothing other than their own vibration. At least, that's the most popular theory ATM.

EDIT: Welcome to the Forums!

jeff

Science Advisor
Originally posted by LURCH
I believe it would cease to exist.
String theory allows massless nonvibrating strings.

LURCH

Science Advisor
Originally posted by jeff
String theory allows massless nonvibrating strings.
I have never heard that before. Not to hijack the Topic, but now I simply must know more.

I thought string theory proposed that all of the properties that constitute "existance" i.e. mass, charge, spin, et al were caused by the vibration. If a superstring is not vibrating it ceases to have any properties, does it not? If it has no properties, how can it be said to exist?

jeff

Science Advisor
String mass and transformation properties under spacetime supersymmetry (i.e. "spin") have a dependence on vibrational degrees of freedom while yang-mills charges don't, they simply sit at the ends of open strings.

The ground states of the R-sector (Ramond sector) of the unoriented type I open plus closed superstring theory, and the R-R sector in the type IIA and IIB superstring theories are massless string states that include no vibrational modes.

There are also nonvibrating tachyonic states.

Last edited: