1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could you hold a super string?

1. Jun 16, 2003 #1
    Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I have merely one quetsion..... if one were to "hold" a superstring, that is, to prevent it from vibrating, what would happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2003 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

I believe it would cease to exist. AIUI, superstrings are made of nothing other than their own vibration. At least, that's the most popular theory ATM.

EDIT: Welcome to the Forums!

4. Jun 16, 2003 #3

jeff

Science Advisor

String theory allows massless nonvibrating strings.

5. Jun 17, 2003 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

I have never heard that before. Not to hijack the Topic, but now I simply must know more.

I thought string theory proposed that all of the properties that constitute "existance" i.e. mass, charge, spin, et al were caused by the vibration. If a superstring is not vibrating it ceases to have any properties, does it not? If it has no properties, how can it be said to exist?

6. Jun 17, 2003 #5

jeff

Science Advisor

String mass and transformation properties under spacetime supersymmetry (i.e. "spin") have a dependence on vibrational degrees of freedom while yang-mills charges don't, they simply sit at the ends of open strings.

The ground states of the R-sector (Ramond sector) of the unoriented type I open plus closed superstring theory, and the R-R sector in the type IIA and IIB superstring theories are massless string states that include no vibrational modes.

There are also nonvibrating tachyonic states.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook