Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could you survive

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1

wolram

Gold Member

If the power went off, could you milk a cow, skin a rabbit, or even catch a rabbit?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I've skinned and cooked rabbits over fires before. Not caught one but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. There's a pet store about a mile from me and if the power went out I'm sure their burglar alarm wouldn't be working.

4. Oct 4, 2015 #3

Evo

GASP! :eek:

5. Oct 4, 2015 #4

Borek

I don't have hands on experience with rabbits, I would go fishing.

That is - assuming it is power that went off, not the whole world at once. I have a fishing rod and everything that is needed.

Now that I think about it, if the power went off, I would have to wait till the morning to find the fishing rod. It is too dark in the garage.

6. Oct 4, 2015 #5

wolram

Gold Member

What about the walking larders, cows, sheep, pigs, would any one have a clue how to slaughter them?

7. Oct 4, 2015 #6

Ryan_m_b

I live in a city, if the power went out for the length of time that we have to revert to unpowered food storage my food preparation knowledge is the least of my problems.

8. Oct 4, 2015 #7

russ_watters

How hard can it be? Just poke 'em with something pointy.

9. Oct 4, 2015 #8
    He's talking about the procedure after they're dead.

You have to remove everything from the abdomen, chest cavity, and throat, as soon as possible or it will spoil the meat. Usually people remove the head as well. Then you have to hang the animal upside down by it's back legs for some reason for a while. Then there's the issue of different cuts of meat, though that's not so important if you just need to eat.

The liver and heart are edible, and since they'll spoil first they often eat those first before getting to the meat.

10. Oct 4, 2015 #9

wolram

Gold Member

11. Oct 4, 2015 #10
    Yeah, there's a lot to it, and it's gross.

It brings to mind an exchange I read. Some white bureaucrat called Indians "lazy" and an Indian replied, "You think it's easy to slaughter a buffalo?"

In most cases they'll save the hide to make into leather, and that's a whole separate, difficult process unto itself.

12. Oct 4, 2015 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Practically speaking, I am far less concerned about how I would survive than how everybody around me would survive. I am fairly certain they would insist on my sharing anything I might have - in a 0:100 split.

13. Oct 4, 2015 #12

Borek

As are kidneys and lungs, if you know how to prepare them. Not to mention sweetbread. And everything, I doubt there is a part that is not eaten somewhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offal

14. Oct 4, 2015 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How you gonna preserve all this meat?

15. Oct 4, 2015 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  16. Oct 4, 2015 #15

Evo

What about stalking the wild vegetables? if the electricity went off and was widespread, I would help to use the supply of fresh and frozen meats and vegetables in the stores first, then go to the canned and dry prepared foods. If we could preserve the enormous stores of refrigerated and frozen meats, that could last quite a while.

17. Oct 4, 2015 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ditto here with Evo. I have a stash in case of disaster : canned food, distilled water. Maybe I should get some water purification tablets. And maybe one of those (reasonable, non-apocaliptic) survivalist courses would help.

18. Oct 5, 2015 #17

wolram

Gold Member

I think panic buying and rioters would soon empty any reserves we have, if not the rich would last longest buying at exorbitant prices ,
    So in the end city slickers would try to migrate to the country looking for food.

19. Oct 5, 2015 #18

Ryan_m_b

I don't think us in the city would migrate so much as almost all die off. It's an edge case I know but take my city: London. There are 8.63 million in the metropolitan area, assuming no food deliveries we'd probably be out of it in a matter of days (no supermarket stores a lot of food, pretty much all modern food logistics is Just In Time). To even get through the countryside we'd have to travel tens of miles through all the outlying towns and I very much doubt that the closest stretches of English countryside could support such a population.

I doubt most in the country would do much better over here. Most of it is still quite urbanised. But probably the most damning stat is that the UK imports 40% of its food so even if we had perfect logistics of home grown in this super-blackout 40% of us (26 million people) would starve. Given that we aren't going to have perfect logistics and the riots/conflict from lack of resources and I'd expect at least 90% of us to die within the first month.

So just going by the odds :nb) no I wouldn't survive, even if I did know how to gut a cow.

20. Oct 5, 2015 #19

OCR

Just like in the book.... No Blade of Grass ...

Lol... just stock up on about 50 cases of "Materials Resembling Edibles", and hide them away.

They're really not too bad, and you can warm your hands, or what not, with the included FRH, it really works, it gets damn hot ... :oldcool:

I've eaten lots and lots of MREs while working on wildland fires ...:oldsmile:

21. Oct 5, 2015 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Can i have a steak with my MREs:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook