Verifying Electrostatic Charges: Q and q

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of finding the initial charges on two identical conducting spheres after being connected by a thin conducting wire and then separated. The total charge on the spheres after they have touched is q=1.497E-6 C, and using this, the first situation can be solved using Coulomb's law to find the two initial charges, q1 and q2. The second part of the problem involves substituting q2=2q-q1 into Coulomb's law to find q1, and then using that value to find q2.
czaitz
I have attempted this problem twice and have one more chance before I get the "red ex" so I thought I'd check my thinking.

Two identical conducting spheres, fixed in place, attract each other with an electrostatic force of 0.136 N when their center-to-center separation is 65.0 cm. The spheres are then connected by a thin conducting wire. When the wire is removed, the spheres repel each other with an electrostatic force of 0.0477 N. Of the initial charges on the spheres, with a positive net charge, what was (a) the negative charge in coulombs on one of them and (b) the positive charge in coulombs on the other?

To find q I used Coulomb's equation, solving for q, which is the charge on the spheres after they touch. That was q= 1.497E-6 C.
Then I thought that F=k Q(Q+2q)/r^2 but that made for some hairy quadratic action trying to get Q and Q+2.
Plus they said my answers were wrong twice.

For this one I got Q = 1.05E-6 C and then the other (+) ball would be 6.11E-6 C.

Is my thinking anywhere in the ballpark? I'm not so sure on the second part.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track, you use the second situation to find the total charge, then substitute into the first situation to get a quadratic for the two initial charges. The substitution should be q2=2q-q1. Then q1(2q-q1)=F*r^2/k, which should give you the two answers you need.

Thanks, but can you clarify the substitution? I callled the unknown charges Q and Q + 2q because 2q is what one sphere had extra before it discharged to the other sphere.
I'm not sure what the qs are in your substitution...q2 is 2q minus q1? The new charges are q2 and q1?

The two initial charges are q1 and q2, which you want to find. q is the charge on each sphere after they have been connected, they are both q as they have the same radius. This you found, 1.497E-6 C. The total charge is 2q, which is equal to q1+q2, as charge is conserved. So you substitute q2=2q-q1 into Coulomb's law for the first situation, and find q1, then put that back into 2q-q1 to get q2.

1. What is the difference between Q and q in electrostatic charges?

Q and q are both symbols used to represent electric charge. Q typically represents the total charge of an object, while q represents the charge of a single particle or unit charge. In other words, Q is the macroscopic charge and q is the microscopic charge.

2. How do you calculate the total charge of an object using Q?

To calculate the total charge of an object, you would add up the charges of all the individual particles that make up the object. This can be done using the equation Q = Σq, where Q is the total charge and Σq represents the sum of all the individual charges.

3. Can an object have both positive and negative Q values?

Yes, an object can have both positive and negative Q values. This occurs when an object has a mixture of positively and negatively charged particles. The overall charge of the object will be determined by the dominant charge, whether it is positive or negative.

4. How do you verify the electrostatic charges of an object?

The electrostatic charges of an object can be verified by using an electroscope. This device measures the presence and magnitude of electrical charges. The electroscope works by using a metal rod and leaves that are repelled by the charges on the object. The more the leaves spread out, the higher the charge on the object.

5. Can electrostatic charges be created or destroyed?

No, electrostatic charges cannot be created or destroyed. According to the law of conservation of charge, the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant. This means that charges can only be transferred from one object to another, but not created or destroyed.