1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb Constant Question

1. Feb 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, but to the point:

I calculate the electric field a distance r from a uniform straight infinite line charge using Gauss' Law and get an answer; I do the same calculation using Coulomb's law and get the same answer but a pi remains in the denominator (that was not there in the Gauss' Law solution). I don't know how to enter the equation here, but in both answers the numerator is the linear charge density. The Gauss' Law denonminator is 2r times epsilon; Coulomb's law denominator is 2(pi)r times epsilon. Help!

2. Relevant equations
    See above

3. The attempt at a solution
    See above

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2008 #2
    Can you write out each of your steps? Maybe then one of us'll be able to spot the error.

4. Feb 6, 2008 #3
    Well, thanks for the fast response. In writing out the steps as you requested I caught a (dumb) integration error - I'm straight now. Thanks.

5. Feb 6, 2008 #4
    You can't imagine how many times I've been stumped on a problem only to realize my error while explaining what I did to someone. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?