1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb gauge

1. Dec 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We study the free electromagnetic field in a charge and current free cubic box with with edge length L and volume V. The vector potential in such a system is given via Fourier series:

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\vec{A}(\vec{r}, t) = \sum\limits_{k} \vec{A}_k(t) e^{i \vec{k} \vec{r}}[/itex]

With: [itex]\vec{k} = 2 \pi \begin{pmatrix} \frac{n_x}{L} \\ \frac{n_y}{L} \\ \frac{n_z}{L} \end{pmatrix} [/itex]

Question:

Which 2 conditions must [itex]\vec{A}_k(t)[/itex] satisfy so that the Coulomb gauge applies?

3. The attempt at a solution

Coulomb gauge means: [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec{A}(\vec{r}, t) = 0[/itex]

If I didn't miscalculate, [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec{A}(\vec{r}, t) = \sum\limits_{k} \vec{A}_k(t) \vec{k} e^{i \vec{k} \vec{r}}[/itex]

That would mean that the sum of the Fourier coefficients [itex]\vec{A}_1(t) + \vec{A}_2(t) + \vec{A}_3(t) + ...[/itex] must be 0

That would be 1 condition (if I did it correctly to begin with). But what is the second condition?

Any help appriciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2013 #2
    I don't know about two conditions.

but, transversality (div A=0) says not that the sum of
    all of the Fourier components is 0, but instead that for each k
    [tex] {\bf k} \cdot {\bf A}_{\bf k}(t) = 0.[/tex]

just brainstorming:
    If your original A was real you also have a reality condition that A=A*,
    that'll give you another condition but has nothing to do with the Coulomb gauge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted