Calculating Net Charge of Three Charges in a Row

In summary, three charges are arranged in a straight row with the first charge having a value of 5.00 x 10-5 C, the second charge also having a value of 5.00 x 10-5 C and positioned 2.50 cm to the right of the first charge, and the third charge having a value of -2.50 x 10-5 C and positioned 2.00 cm to the right of the second charge. Using the equation F=kq1q2/r^2, the net force on each charge was calculated to be -30444N, -7875N, and 33681N, respectively. Further work was requested to verify the accuracy of the method.
Coco12

Homework Statement

Three charges are in a straight row. The first charge has a value of 5.00 x 10-5 C. The second charge also has a value of 5.00 x 10-5 C and is 2.50 cm to the right of the first charge. The third charge has a value of -2.50 x 10-5 C and is 2.00 cm to the right of the second charge.
Find the net charge in the first, second and third charge

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Just wanted to check if I'm doing this right.
For the first charge, I got -30444N , the second ; -7875N and the 3rd; 33681N.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Coco12 said:

Homework Statement

Three charges are in a straight row. The first charge has a value of 5.00 x 10-5 C. The second charge also has a value of 5.00 x 10-5 C and is 2.50 cm to the right of the first charge. The third charge has a value of -2.50 x 10-5 C and is 2.00 cm to the right of the second charge.
Find the net charge in the first, second and third charge
I take it you meant net force.

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Just wanted to check if I'm doing this right.
For the first charge, I got -30444N , the second ; -7875N and the 3rd; 33681N.

Thanks
Show your work for at least one charge, and we can tell you if your method is correct.

1. How do I calculate the net charge of three charges in a row?

To calculate the net charge of three charges in a row, you will need to add all of the individual charges together. If the charges are all positive, then the net charge will be positive. If the charges are all negative, then the net charge will be negative. If there is a mix of positive and negative charges, you will need to subtract the smaller charge from the larger charge to find the net charge.

2. What is the unit of measurement for net charge?

The unit of measurement for net charge is Coulombs (C).

3. Can the net charge of three charges in a row be zero?

Yes, the net charge of three charges in a row can be zero if the charges are equal in magnitude and opposite in sign.

4. How does distance affect the net charge of three charges in a row?

The net charge of three charges in a row is inversely proportional to the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the net charge decreases.

5. Can the net charge of three charges in a row be negative?

Yes, the net charge of three charges in a row can be negative if the sum of the negative charges is greater than the sum of the positive charges.