Solve Coulomb Vector Force Q1,Q2 & Q3 Homework - Dan

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving the calculation of vector forces and net electric fields using Coulomb's law. The participants mention the importance of determining the distance between charges and the superposition property of forces. They also note that forces have both direction and magnitude, and that like-signed charges repel while unlike-signed charges attract.
dantheman91

Homework Statement

Hey everyone, i have a homework question I'm completely stuck on.

Coulomb Vector Force

Q1= 20nC
Q2= -96nC
Q3= +250 nC
A(y axis)= .30 meters
B(x axis)= .40 meters

Layout:
Q1
.A
Q2--------Q3
B

Calculate:

Vector force F21 on Q1 due to Q2
Vector force F31 on Q1 due to Q3
Net Vector force F1 on Q1
Net electric field seen by Q1

Next to each of these questions is a Fx= x+ y
E (Net Electric Field)
The x and y's each have a carrot over them.

i know coulombs law comes into play here: F=k(q1q2)/(r2)

Any insight on this problem would be extremely welcome. I had to miss a week of class so I'm trying to learn this stuff on my own. Unfortunately i can't find it in my book.

Thank you. And I am glad i found this forum. I'm a physics major right now but probably transferring schools to go into meteorology. I'm sure this place will be a vital tool (hopefully not to just get help on homework problems)

Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Insights:

- The electric force acts along the line joining the two charges.
- Forces are vectors (so they have direction and magnitude, hence x and y components)
- Like-sign charges repel, unlike-sign charges attract.
- Forces sum (superposition property)

You'll need to determine the distance between the charge pairs being considered in order to calculate the magnitude of the force acting. The vector for the resulting force will lie along the line connecting the charges. The direction of the force along that line will depend upon the signs of the charges involved.

Q1: What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Q2: How do you calculate the vector force using Coulomb's Law?

The vector force can be calculated using the equation F = k * (Q1 * Q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. The direction of the force is determined by the direction of the charges and the distance between them.

Q3: What is the unit of measurement for force in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for force in Coulomb's Law is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used to measure force in other physical laws, such as Newton's Laws of Motion.

Q4: How does distance affect the force in Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charged particles. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases. It also means that the force will be stronger if the particles are closer together.

Q5: How does the magnitude and direction of the charges affect the force in Coulomb's Law?

The magnitude of the charges directly affects the force in Coulomb's Law. The greater the magnitude of the charges, the greater the force between them. The direction of the charges also plays a role in determining the direction of the force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.