Coulomb's Law: Meaning and Origin of 4*pi

• Thread starter TheAnalogKid83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary: The inverse-square law is a basic law in physics that states that the power of an electric field (or any other physical force) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the source and the object being affected.
TheAnalogKid83
Can anyone tell me where the 4*pi comes from in coulomb's law? I know the law is often compared to netwon's law of gravity, but there is no 4*pi in that one. What is the meaning of 4*pi in the equation of coulomb's law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically the [tex] 4\pi[/tex] is for convenance.

Coulombs constant is, by experiment:K= 8.988...E9,Nm^2C^-2 an equivalent way of expressing this is [tex] \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}[/tex]. Where [tex]\epsilon_o[/tex] is the permitivity of free space.
Nothin too special, just fo convenance.

4*pi is hardly convenient if you got to choose a value by convenience =/

where is the equivalence that you say exists?

Winzer said:
Basically the [tex] 4\pi[/tex] is for convenance.

Coulombs constant is, by experiment:K= 8.988...E9,Nm^2C^-2 an equivalent way of expressing this is [tex] \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_o}[/tex]. Where [tex]\epsilon_o[/tex] is the permitivity of free space.
Nothin too special, just fo convenance.

it's more than that. why didn't they pull [itex]\pi[/itex] or e or Euler's [itex]\gamma[/itex] or some number like that outa their butt and scale it with one of those numbers?

the [itex]4 \pi[/itex] comes from the fact that the surface area of a sphere is [itex]4 \pi r^2[/tex]. the relevant topics to study is inverse-square law, Gauss's Law, and the concept of "flux" and "flux density". try Wikipedia to look that up. that will explain where the [itex]1/(4 \pi \epsilon_0)[/itex] comes from in Coulomb's Law and why you don't see it in Maxwell's equations.

Last edited:
In fact, the entire [itex]1/4\pi r^2[/itex] factor comes from the area of a sphere. The [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] is the actual relevant physical quantity (i.e., the permittivity of free space).

The electrostatic force is ultimately due to the exchange of virtual photons between the particles. If you imagine these photons traveling outward along rays from a particle (much like from a light bulb), you will see that the density of virtual photons falls off in proportion to the area of a sphere of increasing radius. The density of virtual photons is proportional to the rate of particle interactions (which in turn leads to a macroscopic change in momentum; i.e., force); therefore, we must have that the force on a charge, F, is inversely proportional to the area of a sphere of radius r:

[tex]F \propto \frac{1}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

where r is the distance between the test charge and the source charge.

The factor of 4*Pi allows the relevant Mawell's equation to be expressed as:
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Rather than something like

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{4\pi\alpha}[/tex]

This all comes from the fact that [tex]\nabla \cdot \frac{\vec{r}}{r^2} = 4\pi\delta^3(\vec{r})[/tex]

Thus if we take [tex]\rho = q\delta^3(\vec{r})[/tex] (ie a point charge), we require [tex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q}{r^2}\vec{r}[/tex], for the Mawell equation to hold, in the convenient form.

ya last night when I got a chance to look in my textbook it said in a footnote that it would be explained in a later chapter when discussing gauss's law so you guys are right and thank you for these posts, I will read them carefully because I am trying to get an intuition for electromagnetics :)

TheAnalogKid83 said:
ya last night when I got a chance to look in my textbook it said in a footnote that it would be explained in a later chapter when discussing gauss's law so you guys are right and thank you for these posts, I will read them carefully because I am trying to get an intuition for electromagnetics :)

first get an intuition about inverse-square laws. why are they 1/r2 instead of 1/r or 1/r3 or 1/r3/2 ?

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who is credited with discovering Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who first described it in 1785. However, the law was also independently discovered by English scientist Henry Cavendish around the same time.

What is the significance of 4*pi in Coulomb's Law?

The value of 4*pi (approx. 12.57) in Coulomb's Law is a mathematical constant that arises from the use of spherical coordinates to calculate the electric force between two charged particles. It is necessary to convert the units of the electric field from meters to centimeters.

How is Coulomb's Law related to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation are both inverse square laws, meaning that the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. However, Coulomb's Law deals with electric charges while Newton's Law deals with masses.

What are the practical applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has numerous practical applications, including in the design of electronic devices, understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and in the study of electricity and magnetism. It is also used in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology.