Coulomb's Law and 4 point charges

In summary: No. The forces from the two adjacent corner charges should be multiplied by the cosine of 45 degrees. This is the component of these forces along the diagonal. (Their components normal to the diagonal cancel one another.)
John Ker
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing.
A charge Q is placed at the centre of the square of side 2.90 cm, at the corners of which four identical charges q = 6.5 C are placed. Find the value of the charge Q so that the whole system is in equilibrium. Can someone help me figure out where I have went wrong, I began by finding the force on a single corner charge with the following calculations.
2 ( k *(6.5 * 6.5)/(.029^2)) + k(6.5*6.5)/(.04101)^2

(the .04101 is my diagonal distance calculated)

This gives me 1.31E15
Where I then go 1.31E15 = kqQ/r^2

Utilizing r = .04101/2
q = q
Q = 6.5
k = the constant

I get the incorrect answer of -8.124C

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Ker said:
the force on a single corner charge
Did you add them as scalars or as vectors ?

BvU said:
Did you add them as scalars or as vectors ?
Well I added them as scalars as each force is acting on a corner charge as a straight line? Do i need to break them up in vector addition? I am a little confused on how to start with that.

John123 said:
Well I added them as scalars as each force is acting on a corner charge as a straight line? Do i need to break them up in vector addition? I am a little confused on how to start with that.
Is the direction of the force on a corner charge from one of the charges at an adjacent corner the same as that from a charge along the diagonal?

Just a quick remark that this collection of charges has to be confined in the two-dimensional plane of the square. Earnshaw's theorem guarantees that there can be no equilibrium in 3d.

John123 said:

They are not acting in a straight line. The forces acting on one of the charges at a corner act in 3 different directions! Draw a free-body diagram.

For future references, even though it may be tedious to do on here, you should always accompany a question like this with a sketch.

Zz.

kuruman said:
Just a quick remark that this collection of charges has to be confined in the two-dimensional plane of the square. Earnshaw's theorem guarantees that there can be no equilibrium in 3d.
I think Earnshaw's theorem guarantees that there can be no stable equilibrium. If all of the charges are in the two dimensional plane, all forces stay within the plane and no confinement is immediately needed.

However, such an equilibrium would not be stable against small perturbations. [Like a pencil standing on its point]

jbriggs444 said:
I think Earnshaw's theorem guarantees that there can be no stable equilibrium. If all of the charges are in the two dimensional plane, all forces stay within the plane and no confinement is immediately needed.

However, such an equilibrium would not be stable against small perturbations. [Like a pencil standing on its point]
Yes of course. The language of the problem "... so that the whole system is in equilibrium" suggests (at least to me) stable equilibrium. It would be better to forget equilibrium altogether and say "... so that the net electrical force on anyone charge is zero." I do not wish to detract this thread any more from the main line of thought, so I will stop here.

Likes SammyS and jbriggs444
Chestermiller said:
Is the direction of the force on a corner charge from one of the charges at an adjacent corner the same as that from a charge along the diagonal?
It is not, but didn't I correctly account for that with my calculations?

The equation after the addition sign I utilize Pythagoras to account for the extended distance. Is this what you mean?

John Ker said:

The equation after the addition sign I utilize Pythagoras to account for the extended distance. Is this what you mean?
The point is that if you pull east with one force of, say 6.5*6.5/0.292 and north with another force of 6.5*6.5/0.292, the total force is not going to double because the two component forces are not parallel.

Likes John Ker
John Ker said:

No. The forces from the two adjacent corner charges should be multiplied by the cosine of 45 degrees. This is the component of these forces along the diagonal. (Their components normal to the diagonal cancel one another.)

Likes John Ker
jbriggs444 said:
The point is that if you pull east with one force of, say 6.5*6.5/0.292 and north with another force of 6.5*6.5/0.292, the total force is not going to double because the two component forces are not parallel.

ahh thank you!

That makes a lot more sense and I just got the answer.

Chestermiller said:
No. The forces from the two adjacent corner charges should be multiplied by the cosine of 45 degrees. This is the component of these forces along the diagonal. (Their components normal to the diagonal cancel one another.)
Thank you!

Likes BvU

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law applied to 4 point charges?

Coulomb's Law can be applied to 4 point charges by calculating the force between each pair of charges and then using vector addition to find the net force on each charge.

3. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force between two charges, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N * m^2 / C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the force according to Coulomb's Law?

The magnitude of the charges has a direct effect on the force between two charged particles. As the magnitude of the charges increases, the force between them also increases. Similarly, as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to point charges with opposite signs?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to point charges with opposite signs. The force between two opposite charges will be attractive, while the force between two like charges will be repulsive.