1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law and electric fields

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

three point charges are placed at the following points on the x-axis +2 uC at x=0, -3uC at x=40 cm, -5 uC at x=120 cm. find the force (a) on the -3 uC charge, (b) on the -5 uC charge

ans. (a) -0.55N ; (b) 0.15 N

uC=nano coulomb

2. Relevant equations

Fm=qvB ?

Fe=|E|(q)?

Fe=kq1q2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot seem to solve such a simple problem, i need sufficient help. I have the idea that it has something to do with minusing each Fe charge by eachother but im uncertain please need help with a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2
    You'll use the 3rd equation, and you will sum the forces. For instance, for the -3 nC charge, you will have to figure out the force created by the +2 nC Charge, then for the -5 nC charge. Once you get those two numbers, just add them together.

4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    but wait, try it for yourself, apparently you dont get the given answer of -0.55 N, what is the answer u thus get?

5. Jan 21, 2009 #4
    Well, I didn't get -0.55 N exactly, but I did get -0.5479 N. Which is close enough. I came to this solution saying the uC is actually micro-coulombs. Usually nano-coulombs is denoted nC, and if you don't want to go into LaTex, microcoulombs is uC. This is because u is close enough to the Greek Letter mu.

A few more hints on this problem.... Draw a free-body diagram. Then think about what "should" be happening, like which direction a force should go.

6. Jan 22, 2009 #5
    got it
    now im trying part b
    thanks man

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?