Finding Equilibrium Position for Three Charged Particles

In summary, Coulomb's Law states that the charges and coordinates of two charged particles held fixed in an xy plane are q1 = +3.5 µC, x1 = 3.0 cm, y1 = 0.50 cm, and q2 = -4.0 µC, x2 = -2.0 cm, y2 = 1.5 cm. At what coordinates should a third charge q3 = +5.5 µC be placed such that the net electrostatic force on particle 3 due to particles 1 and 2 is zero? To solve for x, using the distance formula, I get .0126m or 1.26 cm.
jperk980
[SOLVED] Coulomb's Law

The charges and coordinates of two charged particles held fixed in an xy plane are q1 = +3.5 µC, x1 = 3.0 cm, y1 = 0.50 cm, and q2 = -4.0 µC, x2 = -2.0 cm, y2 = 1.5 cm.
At what coordinates should a third charge q3 = +5.5 µC be placed such that the net electrostatic force on particle 3 due to particles 1 and 2 is zero?

I set both Forces together, F13= F23. When i simplified i i get the equation (q1/x^2)=(q2/(x-l)^2). I used the distance formula to find l and i came up with the answer .026.
When i solve for x i get .0126m or 1.26 cm. I understand i have to use sin and cosine to get the answers. I used the formula x= x2-x1cos -11.3 and the same for y using different numbers. X1 is the value i just solved for. by doing this i get an answer of -3.57 for x and -1.686 which are incorrect. I was able to find the angle by using the equation theta=Tan-1((y2-y1)/(x2-x1). i know that this value is correct because the system i used called webassign checks the answers immediately. Can someone please tell me what i did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
jperk980 said:
When i simplified i i get the equation (q1/x^2)=(q2/(x-l)^2). I used the distance formula to find l and i came up with the answer .026.
Are you sure that that is the distance between the charges? (Double check.)

Also, where must q3 be placed? Between the other charges? Or to one side?

Why x-l, as opposed to x+l?

What is the significance of the fact the magnitude of q2 > q1?

i believe that the charge should be to the left of q1 since q2 has a greater charge than q1 and and sorry the actual calculation was 5.099 cm which is equal to .05099 m

i assumed it was x-l but i learned that i am wrong by figuring out where the charge will be located

When you say "to the left of q1" do you mean between the charges?

i placed the charges in a cordinate plane and q2 was to the left of q1 considering it had a coordinate of -2 and to answer your question no it is outside the charges

jperk980 said:
... no it is outside the charges
Right. Which side?

it would have to be on the positive side since the charge on q2 is greater that the charge of q2

jperk980 said:
it would have to be on the positive side...
Right. So redo your force equation accordingly.

so as Astronuc said it would be x+l not x-l if that is the case the x value would be -2.4 cm or 73.9 cm

Right. And only one of those answers makes sense.

It would have to 73.9 because it is positive and i am looking for a positive value

jperk980 said:
It would have to 73.9 because it is positive and i am looking for a positive value
Exactly. (Assuming your arithmetic is correct.) A negative answer would put the third charge between the other two--which is no good.

Thank you Doc Al for your quick responses i was able to figure out the rest of the problem on my own using the angle. Once again thank you for your help!

1. What is Coulomb's Law and what does it describe?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the SI unit of force in Coulomb's Law?

The SI unit of force in Coulomb's Law is Newton (N). This is because Coulomb's Law is a type of force, specifically an electrostatic force, and force is measured in Newtons.

3. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them in Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

4. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the force between two particles in Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges. This means that as the magnitude of the charges increases, the force between them also increases. Conversely, as the magnitude of the charges decreases, the force decreases.

5. What other factors can affect the force between two charged particles in Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles can also be affected by the presence of other charged particles in the vicinity, as well as the dielectric constant of the medium between the particles. Additionally, the presence of magnetic fields can also influence the force between charged particles through the Lorentz force law.