1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law and Gauss's law

1. Jan 6, 2015 #1
    • User informed about mandatory use of the homework template.
    Two electric charges q1 = 2 microC and q2 = -2 microC are located at [itex]\vec{r_1}=(1,0,0)m[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_2}=(0,0,-1)m[/itex] respectively. Calculate the force on q1 in vector form.

[itex] \vec{F_{12}} = \frac {1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q_1q_2}{|\vec{r_1}-\vec{r_2}|^3}(\vec{r_1}-\vec{r_2}) [/itex]

is the formula I am using.

I get an answer of (-0.013, 0, -0.013)N but I don't think this is correct and I have no idea where I messed up.

any ideas? ( I have no numerical solutions to the questions)

Calculate the electric dipole moment of this system (vector form)

I have used P = qD

q = 2x10^-6
    d = (1,0,1) which I obtained from using r1-r2

So I just get the charge again multiplied by the vector

Don't think this is correct either.

Calculate the electric fluxes through two spherical Gaussian surfaces centred at the origin with radii R1=0.5m and R2=10m respectively

Now this is confusing. The first sphere doesn't enclose any charge, so q_enclosed is just 0? And the 10m sphere encloses both, but when you find the total charge enclosed, it's 2+ (-2) = 0? so again 0?

Any help appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

All looks good to me. What makes you think it's wrong?

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3
    How can someone tell you where you messed up if you don't show your work?

5. Jan 6, 2015 #4
    [itex] \vec{F_{12}} = \frac {1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{(2x10^-6)(-2x10^-6)}{\sqrt{2}^3}(1,0,1) [/itex]

That is my working

6. Jan 6, 2015 #5
    It looks OK. So does your result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted