1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's law and mechanics

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    Hey....i need help....

"One practical arrangement for verifying Coulomb's law is to use a lightweight, negatively charged, freely-suspended ball. it is repelled by the negative charge on a larger sphere that is held near it, on an insulated support. the small angle of deflection, x is then measured.

The weight of the ball is W. show that the force of repulsion F on the suspended ball is given by:

F = W tan x"

I've drawn a free body force diagram, but i still cant work it out..
    help pleaseee

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Start by identifying the forces acting on the suspended ball. (Hint: Three forces act on that ball.) Then apply the conditions for equilibrium: the sum of the forces must be zero. (Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal components separately.)

4. Apr 3, 2005 #3
    Ok I've got to the point where I've found that the components of N (the normal reaction force) are:

N sin x

and

N cos x

I don't study maths so could you please give me hints as to how I turn the above into F = W tan x???

5. Apr 3, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't know what you mean by the "normal force" in this problem. Answer the questions I asked in my last post: What are the forces acting on the ball?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?