1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law and net force

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Particles 2 and 4, of charge -e, are fixed in place on the y axis at y2=-10.00 cm and y4=5.00cm. Particles 1 and 3, of charge -e, can be moved along the x axis. Particle 5 of charge +e is fixed at the origin. Initially particle 1 is at x1= -10.0cm and particle 3 is at x3= 10.0cm. (a) to what x value must particle 1 be moved to rotate the direction of the net electric force Fnet on particle 5 by 30 degrees counterclockwise? (b) With particle 1 fixed at the new position, to what x value must you move particle 3 to rotate Fnet back to its original position?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found the individual forces and the net force in vector notation, but can't seem to see the way to handle the rotation. I knowwhat the correct answer is but not how to get there.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

If a 2-d vector xi + yj is rotated by an angle ‘b’ in the counter clockwise direction keeping the magnitude constant, then the new vector is given by:

(xcos b - ysin b)i + (xsin b + ycos b)j.

This should solve your problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?