• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Coulomb's Law for two charges

• Thread starter Defcon55
  • Start date
I have a quick question about using Coulomb's Law, and I was hoping someone would be able to help me.
There are two identical charges which are one meter apart that are repelling each other with a force of 1 N each. What is the magnitude (Coulombs) of each charge?

I tried using Coulomb's law for each of the two charges, and just setting up an arbitrary point where Q1 was located at (0,0) and Q2 is located at (1,0), but I believe this is the wrong way to solve the problem, as I simplified the answer to 1=1.
Is there something that I am missing here? I am using F = k(q1q2)/r^2

Thank you.

berkeman

Mentor
I have a quick question about using Coulomb's Law, and I was hoping someone would be able to help me.
There are two identical charges which are one meter apart that are repelling each other with a force of 1 N each. What is the magnitude (Coulombs) of each charge?

I tried using Coulomb's law for each of the two charges, and just setting up an arbitrary point where Q1 was located at (0,0) and Q2 is located at (1,0), but I believe this is the wrong way to solve the problem, as I simplified the answer to 1=1.
Is there something that I am missing here? I am using F = k(q1q2)/r^2

Thank you.
You would seem to have everything defined in that equation except the magnitude of the charge. Show us the numbers you plugged into that equation, and solve for q=q1=q2.