What is the magnitude of each charge in Coulombs according to Coulomb's Law?

In summary, the speaker has a question about using Coulomb's Law and is seeking help. They provide an example of two identical charges repelling each other with a force of 1 N each and ask for the magnitude of each charge. They also mention using the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2 but are unsure if they are approaching the problem correctly. They ask for clarification and for help solving for the magnitude of the charge.
Defcon55
I have a quick question about using Coulomb's Law, and I was hoping someone would be able to help me.
There are two identical charges which are one meter apart that are repelling each other with a force of 1 N each. What is the magnitude (Coulombs) of each charge?

I tried using Coulomb's law for each of the two charges, and just setting up an arbitrary point where Q1 was located at (0,0) and Q2 is located at (1,0), but I believe this is the wrong way to solve the problem, as I simplified the answer to 1=1.
Is there something that I am missing here? I am using F = k(q1q2)/r^2

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Defcon55 said:
I have a quick question about using Coulomb's Law, and I was hoping someone would be able to help me.
There are two identical charges which are one meter apart that are repelling each other with a force of 1 N each. What is the magnitude (Coulombs) of each charge?

I tried using Coulomb's law for each of the two charges, and just setting up an arbitrary point where Q1 was located at (0,0) and Q2 is located at (1,0), but I believe this is the wrong way to solve the problem, as I simplified the answer to 1=1.
Is there something that I am missing here? I am using F = k(q1q2)/r^2

Thank you.

You would seem to have everything defined in that equation except the magnitude of the charge. Show us the numbers you plugged into that equation, and solve for q=q1=q2.

Hello, thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with using Coulomb's Law to solve this problem. However, there are a few things that may be causing confusion in your calculation.

Firstly, it is important to note that Coulomb's Law states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases, and vice versa. In your scenario, the two charges are repelling each other with a force of 1 N, which means that they must have equal and opposite charges. This is because the force between them is repulsive, indicating that they have the same sign of charge.

Next, in order to determine the magnitude of each charge, we can rearrange the equation to solve for q1 or q2. Let's rearrange the equation to solve for q1:

q1 = (Fr^2)/kq2

Plugging in the given values, we get:

q1 = (1 N)(1 m)^2/(9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(q2)

Simplifying, we get:

q1 = q2/9x10^9 C

Since the two charges are identical, q1 must equal q2. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as:

q1 = q2 = (1 N)(1 m)^2/(9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(q1)

Solving for q1, we get:

q1 = q2 = 9x10^-9 C

Therefore, each charge has a magnitude of 9x10^-9 Coulombs.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Keep in mind that Coulomb's Law is a powerful tool for understanding the relationship between charges and forces in electrostatics. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable using it. Good luck!

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the electric force, the distance between two charged particles, and the magnitude of the charges.

2. How is Coulomb's Law calculated?

Coulomb's Law is calculated using the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the electric force, k is the proportionality constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the electric force in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for the electric force in Coulomb's Law is Newton (N).

4. How does distance affect the electric force in Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the electric force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric force decreases.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to more than two charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to any number of charges. In this case, the electric force between two charges is calculated as the sum of the forces between each pair of charges.