Coulombs Law is KILLING ME

In summary, to solve for the force between two repelling socks, you can use the equation F=8.9*10^9(q1)(q2)/r^2. After solving for the charges at a distance of 1 cm, which is equal to 4.74e-9 C, you can use this value to solve for the force at a distance of 5 cm by plugging it back into the equation.
lalablu3

Homework Statement

You remove two socks from a hot dryer and find that they repel with force of 0.002 N when they’re 1 cm apart. If they have equal charges, and you separate the socks until they’re 5 cm apart, what force will each sock exert on the other? Round the answer to 3 significant digits.

Homework Equations

F=8.9*10^9(q1)(q2) / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive been working on this for over an hour and am frieking out! First I try to solve for the two charges, using .1 (1cm-converted to meter). I know that once I get this, I can use it to change .1 to .5 and solve for F. Problem is I have been having trouble solving for Q! which leaves me stuck in the begining.

Please please help, I've got a midterm in the morning.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
F=kq1q2/r^2

at .01m, F = .002
Solve for q^2, since q1 = q2
q^2= (0.002)(.01^2) / (8.9e+9)
= 2.25e-17 C
so q1 or q2 equals the square root of q^2:
(2.25e-17)^0.5 = 4.74e-9 C

Then, use these values to solve if r = .05 (just plug them back into the equation)

I hope this helped

Don't panic! It's completely normal to get stuck on a problem for a while, especially when it involves a new concept like Coulomb's Law. Take a deep breath and let's break this down step by step.

First, let's review Coulomb's Law: F=8.9*10^9(q1)(q2)/r^2. This equation tells us that the force between two charged objects depends on the magnitude of their charges (q1 and q2) and the distance between them (r). In this case, we know the force (0.002 N) and the distance (1 cm or 0.01 m), and we are trying to find the charges.

To solve for the charges, we can rearrange the equation to q1=q2=F*r^2/8.9*10^9. Plugging in the values we know, we get q1=q2=0.002*0.01^2/8.9*10^9, which gives us a charge of 2.25*10^-11 C for each sock.

Now, to find the force when the socks are 5 cm apart, we can use the same equation and plug in the new distance (0.05 m) and the charges we just found. F=8.9*10^9*(2.25*10^-11)^2/(0.05)^2, which gives us a force of 2.52*10^-5 N for each sock. Remember to round to 3 significant digits, so our final answer is 2.52*10^-5 N for each sock.

I hope this helps clear things up for you. Remember to take your time and double check your calculations. Good luck on your midterm!

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law calculated?

Coulomb's Law can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two particles, k is the proportionality constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of the proportionality constant (k) in Coulomb's Law?

The proportionality constant (k) in Coulomb's Law represents the permittivity of free space, which is a measure of how easily electric fields can pass through a given material. It is a fundamental constant in physics and has a value of approximately 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

4. How does Coulomb's Law relate to the strength of an electric field?

Coulomb's Law is directly related to the strength of an electric field. The force between two charged particles is the result of the electric field created by one particle acting on the other. The stronger the electric field, the greater the force between the particles will be.

5. How does distance affect the force between two charged particles according to Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. It also means that the closer the particles are to each other, the stronger the force will be.