1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's law (place charge so it has no net force) - only have 2 hours, help please!

1. Jan 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A charge, Q2 = -7.00x10^-6 C, is 8.00 cm to the right of charge Q1 = 6.00x10^-6 C. Where can a third charge be placed, along the line connecting Q1 and Q2, such that it experiences no net force? Give distances relative to Q1 and use a plus sign if the third charge is to the right of Q1

2. Relevant equations

Fe=kq1q2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I did q1/x^2 = q2/(x+0.08)^2 and solved for x. I got a quadratic which gave me roots 0.998459 and -0.0384593. This is assuming that the order is Q3 then Q1 then Q2.

If I do it with the order as Q1 - Q2 - Q3, then I get two negative roots (the more negative one still matches up with 0.998459 if I take into account the 0.08 between Q1 and Q2).

So, would my answer be -0.998459 m because Q3 is to the left of Q1 and the question said to make it positive is Q3 is to the right? I have one try left to get this right, but I'm not confident this is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2012 #2
    Re: Coulomb's law (place charge so it has no net force) - only have 2 hours, help ple

Looks right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook