Finding the Net Electrostatic Force on Particle 3 in a Coulomb's Law Problem

In summary, if the coordinates of particle 3 are (13, -4.3), then the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero.
Langerhorns

Homework Statement

Particle 1 of charge q1 = +0.76 µC and particle 2 of charge q2 = -3.0 µC, are held at separation L = 13 cm on an x axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero, what must be the x and coordinates of particle 3?

I'm really not sure how to proceed with this question. But I understand that the forces added together is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Langerhorns said:

Homework Statement

Particle 1 of charge q1 = +0.76 µC and particle 2 of charge q2 = -3.0 µC, are held at separation L = 13 cm on an x axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero, what must be the x and coordinates of particle 3?

I'm really not sure how to proceed with this question. But I understand that the forces added together is zero.

Welcome to PF.

OK. So what equation do you think you might use then?

So I did:

c/d^2 + c/d^2 =0

put in the numbers

(0.76*10^-6)/d^2 = (3*10^-6)/(d+13)^2

simplify taking out the fractions

(0.76*10^-6)(d+13)^2 = d^2(3*10^-6)

expand the bracket

(0.76*10^-6)(d^2+26d+169) = d^2(3*10^-6)

eventual rearrangement

2.24*10^-6 - 1.976*10^-5 - 1.2844*10^-4 = 0

quadratic equation

13 and -4.3 but 13 is not the right answer. It might be my method or calculation error, I'm really not sure.

I trust you didn't round away too much from the answer for your quadratic.

If you think about it, ≈ 13 is an expected result, because if 1 charge is 4 times larger and twice as far away ... you'd expect something about equal to the charge separation wouldn't you?

Hum, isn't q2 negative? I reckon you might've used it as a positive..

F1 - F2 = 0 .. so, q1/d^2 = q2/(d+x)^2, where q2 still is negative, and I only see +3 in your calculations :)

Hannisch said:
Hum, isn't q2 negative? I reckon you might've used it as a positive..

F1 - F2 = 0 .. so, q1/d^2 = q2/(d+x)^2, where q2 still is negative, and I only see +3 in your calculations :)

Actually I think he's taken that into account.

∑F = 0 = q3*∑ E = 0 ⇒ E1 + E2 = 0

Taking account of the sign of the charge then |E1| = |E2| satisfies the condition.

(This of course is for x that does not lie between q1 and q2.)

I don't quite see it, but I reckon you're right 'cause you most definitely know better than I do and it's late & I'm tired. I think I'll come back and try to see it when it's not 20 to midnight ;)

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the relationship between the electric force between two charged particles and their distance apart.

2. What is the equation for Coulomb's Law?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the electric force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the electric force between them?

The electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charged particles. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric force in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for electric force in Coulomb's Law is Newton (N), which is the same unit used for force in other physics equations.

5. How does Coulomb's Law relate to other fundamental laws of electrostatics?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to other fundamental laws of electrostatics, such as the principle of superposition and the law of conservation of charge. It also provides the basis for other important concepts in electromagnetism, such as electric fields and potential energy.