1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law problem

1. Jan 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Figure (a) shows charged particles 1 and 2 that are fixed in place on an x axis. Particle 1 has a charge with a magnitude of |q1| = 19e. Particle 3 of charge q3 = +16e is initially on the x axis near particle 2.Then particle 3 is gradually moved in the positive direction of the x axis. As a result, the magnitude of the net electrostatic force on particle 2 due to particles 1 and 3 changes. Figure (b) gives the x component of that net force as a function of the position x of particle 3. The scale of the x axis is set by xs = 1.70 m. The plot has an asymptote of F2,net = 0.8688 × 10-25 N as x → ∞. As a multiple of e and including the sign, what is the charge q2 of particle 2?
    upload_2017-1-31_1-36-40.png

2. Relevant equations
    F = kq1q2/r2

3. The attempt at a solution
    As x --> ∞, the force on particle 2 comes just from particle 1, so the force from particle 1 is always 0.8688 x 10^-25 N because particles 1 and 2 are stationary.
    When x = 0.85 for particle 3, the net force on particle 2 is 0, so the force from particle 1 must equal the force from particle 3.
    This means that 0.8688 x 10^-25 = k(q2*16e)/0.85^2
    Is this correct? Apparently my answer is incorrect after I tried solving for q2 in terms of e.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please post your final answer.
    I note that it asks for the charge as a multiple of e, but your last equation would naturally give a multiple of 1/e.

4. Jan 31, 2017 #3
    My final answer was (4.359 x 10^-37)/e, which, like you've said, doesn't make sense because it's a multiple of 1/e.

5. Jan 31, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It does make sense. It arises naturally from q1=Fr2/(kq2).
    So express it as constant x e instead. e is a known value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted