1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law Problems

1. Aug 22, 2006 #1
    I have a couple of Coulomb's Law problems.

1) A charge of 6.00 mC is placed at each corner of a square 0.100 m on each side. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force on each charge.

2) Two charges, -Q and -3Q (subscript 0 at the end of each Q),are a distance L apart. There two charges are free to move but do not because there is a third charge nearby. What must be the charge and placement of the third charge for the first two to be in equilibrium?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

4. Jan 16, 2011 #3
    Check your pm box. I can never understand why people will never help people and show them how to solve certain problems. You learn by being shown and then applying what you were given. You don't learn by spending hours trying to solve a problem. That time can be spent studying and or going over more problems so you can succeed.
  5. Jan 17, 2011 #4
    So you mean that "Einstein" should have asked someone about the photoelectric effect instead of wasting his whole life searching for it ???

That was the most useless advice ever!!!
  6. Jan 17, 2011 #5
    And for your question ... i cant solve it for you but yes some advide
    for 1st, draw a big diagram (and please use a scale) and draw all the forces,

And find all net forces in a single plane, then find their net force!!!

for second what do you think about the sign of charge?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?