1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law Question

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have physics homework and i dont quite seem to understand the question:
    Two objects ( X and Y ) are placed at a distance of .800m from each other. The charge on X is 6.65000x10^-6 C and Y is 7.73000x10^-6. What is the value of electrical force (in Newtons) between the two objects? Answer accurate to the fourth decimal place.

2. Relevant equations

i think the equation is F=kxQ1xQ2/d^2, but dont know how to solve for Q1 or Q2..and is K 9.0x10^9?
    ive tried reading the info. they provide us over and over but still dont seem to get how to solve it
    3. The attempt at a solution
    :cry: i know im a noob but please help lol
    thank you

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2
    Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the objects, d is the distance between the objects, and k is Coulomb's constant

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3
    but the thing is i dont know where to start..

5. Jan 7, 2010 #4
    They give you all of those values, except for k which you can look up. Unless I'm missing something, all you have to do is plug them into the equation to get the force.

6. Jan 7, 2010 #5
    how do i get values of k, q1, and q2 in units of Coulomb?
    oh wait they give it to us in C

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6
    oh ok..let me try that..ive tried plugging in over and over..but couldnt get the answer..

8. Jan 7, 2010 #7
    Yes i got it..thanks lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook