Coulomb's law and two point charges question

In summary, two point charges with a combined charge of 20 micro coulombs are placed 3m apart and one repels the other with a force of 0.075N. Using Coulomb's Law and the given equations, the value of q1 is calculated to be 3.755x10^-6 and q2 is calculated to be 16.245x10^-6. Substituting these values into the equations, it is possible to solve for both charges and determine their individual values.
deeko1987
1. two point charges q1 and q2 with a combined charge of 20 micro coulombs are placed 3m apart. If one repels the other with a force of 0.075N calculate;

the value of q1 and q2
2. k=8.987x10^9
F=kxq1xq2/r^2
E=kQ/r^2
E=f/q
3. I've tried to work out the charge by working out the electric field strength with respect to one charge, then using the E=f/q and rearranging for q, this gave a value of

q1=3.755x10^-6

I then tried to sub this into coulombs force and rearrange for q2 but the value was faar too high.

I then tried to the same method and subtracting q1 the combined charge, but I'm certain this is not the method

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You've been give a separation distance. You've been given a resultant force between the charges. You've been given a value for one of the charges. It's not necessary to use every equation that's been given you.

Hi deeko1987, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you write two separate equations that describe the given conditions?

Hi thanks for the welcome,

I have used coulomb's force to work out the value of q1 x q2 which = 7.51x10^-11

and I know the combined value of q1+q2 = 20x10^-6

I'm not sure where I would go from there as the post above says its not necessary to use all the equations. Would it be wise to possibly try to get a simultaneous equations?

deeko1987 said:
Hi thanks for the welcome,

I have used coulomb's force to work out the value of q1 x q2 which = 7.51x10^-11

and I know the combined value of q1+q2 = 20x10^-6

I'm not sure where I would go from there as the post above says its not necessary to use all the equations. Would it be wise to possibly try to get a simultaneous equations?
Be careful with the sign of the force! Are the charges attracting or repelling each other? What does that tell you about the product of the charges?

Note that you have already just written two simultaneous equations!

the charges must be positive because the combined charges (q1 + q2) is positive. and they are repelling which off the top of my head is a positive value and a negative suggests they are attracted (will double check).

Still struggling with this equation but I'll work through it. Its most likely one of those things where It'll be obvious once I get it.

Many thanks

I'm still hitting a brick wall with this one. as I have a equivalent; x+y=a value and X*Y=a value I cannot substitute or eliminate to isolate one of the variables.

Do I need a third variable or formula?

any help would be appreciated

Deeko

deeko1987 said:
I'm still hitting a brick wall with this one. as I have a equivalent; x+y=a value and X*Y=a value I cannot substitute or eliminate to isolate one of the variables.
Why not? x + y = z, so x = z - y. Right?

From the question, ## q_1+q_2=20μC => q_2=20*10^{-6} - q_1 ##
From the given data, obtain ## q_1*q_2 ## ...
Now substitute for ##q_2## in the second equation from the first.
Solve the quadratic equation to obtain ##q_1## and hence ##q_2##

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are point charges?

Point charges are particles with a finite amount of electric charge that are considered to be concentrated at a single point in space. This simplification is often used in calculations involving Coulomb's Law.

3. How do you calculate the force between two point charges?

The force between two point charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law formula: F = k*q1*q2/r^2, where k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric charge?

The unit of measurement for electric charge is the Coulomb (C). It is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a point in a conductor in one second when there is a constant current of one ampere.

5. How does distance affect the force between two point charges?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.