How to Solve Coulomb's Law Question 1: Calculating Net Force | Physics Problem

In summary: So the maximum occurs at ##x=0## when ##|F_{3}|=|F_{max}|=\frac{4e^2}{\pi\epsilon d^2}##. In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the net force acting on charge 3 due to charges 1 and 2, using the formula ##|F_{12}|=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{|q_1||q_2|}{(R_{12})^2}##. Two attempted solutions are presented, one ignoring directional vectors and the other using x and y components. After corrections to the variables and substitution of values, the expression ##F_3(x)=\
Potatochip911
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known }data
The picture I drew is quite sad but it's the best I could do lol.
102ti87.png

I forgot to mention in the image that it's the magnitude of the net force we're looking for.

Homework Equations

##|F_{12}|=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{|q_1||q_2|}{(R_{12})^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried solving it 2 ways and both have failed. The first method I tried was to ignore directional vectors since the y components cancel out in this example.
##F_{3}=F_{13}+F_{23}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{|q_1||q_3|}{(R_{13})^2}+\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{|q_2||q_3|}{(R_{23})^2}## ; Then since the hypotenuse of both triangles is the same we have ##R_{13}=R_{23}##; ##R_{13}=\sqrt{x^2+d^2}## and since ##q_1=q_2## we have $$F_{3}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{2|q_1||q_2|}{(R_{13})^2}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{2|q_1||q_2|}{x^2+d^2}$$
Unfortunately this isn't the correct expression, I also tried solving it with x and y components instead of magnitudes:
##F_3=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[\frac{|q_1||q_2|\cos\theta(+\hat{\imath})}{(R_{13})^2}+\frac{|q_1||q_2|\sin\theta(-\hat{\jmath})}{(R_{13})^2}]+\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[\frac{|q_2||q_3|\cos\theta(+\hat{\imath})}{(R_{23})^2}+\frac{|q_2||q_3|\sin\theta(+\hat{\jmath})}{(R_{23})^2}]## which after simplifying leads to the expression $$F_3=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[\frac{2|q_1||q_3|\cos\theta}{(x^2+d^2)}]$$ which also isn't the correct expression even after substituting ##\cos\theta=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+d^2}}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known }data
The picture I drew is quite sad but it's the best I could do lol.
102ti87.png

I forgot to mention in the image that it's the magnitude of the net force we're looking for.

Homework Equations

##|F_{12}|=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{|q_1||q_2|}{(R_{12})^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried solving it 2 ways and both have failed. The first method I tried was to ignore directional vectors since the y components cancel out in this example.
##F_{3}=F_{13}+F_{23}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{|q_1||q_3|}{(R_{13})^2}+\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{|q_2||q_3|}{(R_{23})^2}## ; Then since the hypotenuse of both triangles is the same we have ##R_{13}=R_{23}##; ##R_{13}=\sqrt{x^2+d^2}## and since ##q_1=q_2## we have $$F_{3}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{2|q_1||q_2|}{(R_{13})^2}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{2|q_1||q_2|}{x^2+d^2}$$
That is wrong, naturally.
Potatochip911 said:
Unfortunately this isn't the correct expression, I also tried solving it with x and y components instead of magnitudes:
##F_3=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[\frac{|q_1||q_2|\cos\theta(+\hat{\imath})}{(R_{13})^2}+\frac{|q_1||q_2|\sin\theta(-\hat{\jmath})}{(R_{13})^2}]+\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[\frac{|q_2||q_3|\cos\theta(+\hat{\imath})}{(R_{23})^2}+\frac{|q_2||q_3|\sin\theta(+\hat{\jmath})}{(R_{23})^2}]## which after simplifying leads to the expression $$F_3=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[\frac{2|q_1||q_3|\cos\theta}{(x^2+d^2)}]$$ which also isn't the correct expression even after substituting ##\cos\theta=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+d^2}}##
Use the value of the charge when you calculate the Coulomb force, not the absolute value.
You want the force acting on charge 3, but you used q1 q2 in your first two terms.
By the way, where is x=0?

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
That is wrong, naturally.

Use the value of the charge when you calculate the Coulomb force, not the absolute value.
You want the force acting on charge 3, but you used q1 q2 in your first two terms.
By the way, where is x=0?
Okay, I had ##q_1## and ##q_3## on my paper but I accidentally put ##q_2## in LaTeX. So placing the proper variables gives $$\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}[\frac{q_1q_3\cos\theta(+\hat{\imath})}{(R_{13})^2}+\frac{q_1q_3\sin\theta(-\hat{\jmath})}{(R_{13})^2}]+\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}[\frac{q_2q_3\cos\theta(+\hat{\imath})}{(R_{23})^2}+\frac{q_2q_3\sin\theta(+\hat{\jmath})}{(R_{23})^2}]$$ which after making the substitutions ##q_1=q_2##, ##R_{13}=R_{23}## and ##\cos\theta=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+d^2}}## becomes $$\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}\frac{2q_1q_3\cos\theta}{(R_{13})^2}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}\frac{16e^2x}{(x^2+d^2)^{3/2}}$$ which is pretty much the same expression as before just without the absolute values. x=0 would be where the y-axis intersects the x-axis in the image.

How do you know it is wrong? It looks correct, but you can substitute the the numerical values.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
How do you know it is wrong? It looks correct, but you can substitute the the numerical values.
In the second part of the question it asked to calculate where the force would be at a maximum and I thought the derivative was elementary enough that I wouldn't make a mistake on it so I assumed the original expression was incorrect. After looking over it again it turns out it's actually the derivative that I took incorrectly and the function ##F_3(x)## is correct.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in the late 18th century. He conducted experiments with charged spheres to determine the relationship between electrical force, charge, and distance.

3. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2) / d^2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the proportionality constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects in Coulombs, and d is the distance between the two objects in meters.

4. What is the SI unit for charge in Coulomb's Law?

The SI unit for charge in Coulomb's Law is Coulomb (C), which is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a point in one second when a current of one Ampere is applied for one second.

5. How does Coulomb's Law relate to electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to electric fields. The electric field is a concept that describes the force that a charged object would experience at any given point in space. The direction of the electric field is the direction in which a positive test charge would move, and its magnitude is equal to the force exerted on the test charge divided by the charge itself. Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the electric field at a given point due to a single charged object or a system of charged objects.