Solving Coulombs Law & Trig via Diagram

In summary, the conversation is about a first-time poster seeking help with a physics problem involving Coulomb's law and basic trigonometry. They have figured out one part of the solution but are struggling with the second part and are confused by their professor's explanation. The solution involves simple addition and the final equation is 5kq^2/4L^2(sin^2)\Theta.
prof chaos
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong... first time poster.

Homework Statement

figure15_1.jpg

The diagram gives the relevant info. All three q's are equal point charges of m=0.10 kg. I'm trying to find the value of q.

Homework Equations

Coulombs law and basic trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering either of the outer point charges, I have thus figured out that F_x=Tsinθ and mg=Tcosθ. Dividing those gives F=mgTanθ=0.98N

I can't figure out what to do at all for the second part where I use Coulombs law to combine the the forces of both charges on the most right one. My prof gave the following HW explanation, but I don't understand it:

[tex]\frac{Kq^2}{(Lsin\Theta)^2}[/tex] -- [tex]\frac{kq^2}{(2Lsin\Theta)^2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{5kq^2}{4L^2(sin^2)\Theta}[/tex]

I can rearrange and solve from there... I understand where [tex]\frac{Kq^2}{(Lsin\Theta)^2}[/tex] -- [tex]\frac{kq^2}{(2Lsin\Theta)^2}[/tex] comes from but how in the world does that turn into [tex]\frac{5kq^2}{4L^2(sin^2)\Theta}[/tex]

Ugh it turned my thetas into 952;... I hope you still understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi prof chaos, welcome to PF.

It is simple addition.

1 + 1/4 = 5/4.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you solve Coulomb's law?

To solve Coulomb's law, you need to know the values of the two charged particles (their charges and distance between them). Then, you can plug these values into the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them. You can also use a diagram and trigonometric functions to solve for the force.

What is a diagram used for in solving Coulomb's law?

A diagram is often used to visualize the situation and understand the direction and magnitude of the force between charged particles. It can also help in using trigonometric functions to solve for the force.

How do you use trigonometric functions to solve for the force in Coulomb's law?

Trigonometric functions, specifically sine, cosine, and tangent, can be used to determine the components of the force in different directions. These components can then be added together to find the total force using vector addition.

What are some real-life applications of Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law has many practical applications, including determining the force between charged particles in an atom, calculating the force between protons and electrons in an electric field, and understanding the behavior of lightning and electric currents.