1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulombs law

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1
    I'm working with Coulomb's law, and finding the force from known charges is easy. But I don't know how to find mass from Coulomb's law, and I guess I don't know an equation that will help.

Two equally charged particles, held 3.8 x 10-3 m apart, are released from rest. The initial acceleration of the first particle is observed to be 5.8 m/s2 and that of the second to be 10 m/s2. If the mass of the first particle is 8.1 x 10-7 kg, what are (a) the mass of the second particle and (b) the magnitude of the charge of each particle?

A nudge in the right direction would be helpful...I have the mass of one particle, and acceleration. And distance between two particles, so I can find r2. But I am stumped how mass comes into things. All I can think of is F=ma.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is all you need. m = F/a where [itex]F = kq^2/r^2[/itex]. If you know m, r and a you can find q. In order to find the mass of the other charge use Newton's third law - the centre of mass does not move.

AM

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  4. Sep 4, 2006 #3
    Ah, yes, thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?