Coulomb's Law: Examining Forces and Charges

In summary, the conversation discussed various scenarios related to Coulomb's law. It was determined that doubling the charge would result in a doubled force, while cutting the charges in half would result in a quarter of the original force. When the distance is tripled, the force is reduced to one-ninth of the original force, and when the distance is halved, the force is quadrupled. To determine the number of excess electrons on a particle, you would divide the given charge by the charge of a single electron. Similarly, to find the number of tomatoes in a sack, you would divide the total weight by the weight of a single tomato.
UrbanXrisis
questions relate to coulomb's law.

What will happen the to force if:

one of the charge was doubled. (ex.q1 was doubled)
I think that the force would double as well right?

What if q1 and q2 were cut in half?

the distance is tripled?

the distance is cut in half? How do I figure this out?

What if q1 was tripped and the distance doubled?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
See my answer on your other thread.

TO do this you need to look at the form of coulombs law. It is given by:
[itex]
F_c=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}
[/itex]
where r is the separation distance btw the paticles and q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles in question. By looking aT what should happen to F when you say double q1 you should be able to figure it all out

If a question asked to find how many excess electrons are on a particle charged -4.0E-17C, what should I do? I know that the charge of a electron is -1.602E-19C but how do I know how many excess electrons there are?

If a question asked you how many tomatoes were in a sack containing 1 kg of tomatoes if each tomato is 200 g, how would you solve that?

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two charges, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit for charge in Coulomb's Law?

The unit for charge in Coulomb's Law is coulomb (C). It is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who first described the law in the late 18th century.

What is the significance of Coulomb's constant?

Coulomb's constant (k) is a proportionality constant that is used to calculate the force between two charges in Coulomb's Law. Its value is 8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2 and it depends on the medium between the two charges.

What are some real-life applications of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law has many practical applications, including determining the force between charged particles in atoms and molecules, calculating the forces between electrically charged particles in a plasma, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in electrical circuits. It is also used in various technologies such as electrostatic precipitators, laser printers, and Van de Graaff generators.