Calculating Electric Force and Distance Between Two Charges

In summary, two small charges q1 = +2.65 nC and q2=-4.75nC are a distance apart, with q1 experiencing a force of 55μN from q2. To find the force on q2, we use Coulomb's law and set the force as 55 uN. To find the distance between the charges, we use the same equation and solve for d.
shanie

Homework Statement

Two small charges q1 = +2.65 nC and q2=-4.75nC are at a certain distance from each other. Q1 is affected by a force of 55μN from q2.
a) how large is the force on q2? Draw a figure that shows the electric forces that work on q1 and q2.
b) determine the distance between the charges.

Homework Equations

a) coulomb's law: F= (k*qi*q2)/d^2
b) coulomb's law: F= (k*qi*q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Now I know that these questions are generally rather simple and straightforward, but what I cannot understand is how I'm going to solve the problem with two unknowns (the force on q2 and the distance). Because I only have a set of data I cannot really make a simultaneous equation out of it. I tried using E=F/q for q2 but then I only get E for one of the charges.. so how would I go on from there? I already drew a picture showing the two attracting forces with arrows toward each other (as one charge is positive and the other one negative).
b) Once I find the force on q2, I just add the forces together and make them equal to F in coloumb's law.. right? So then I just rearrange the variables and solve for d?

I could really use some help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Think of Newton's laws. The answer is really simple when you see it.

Oh, you mean for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction? So if q2 works on q1 by 55μN, this means that q1 works on q2 by 55μN? So then in b) I just add them together to make 110μN, which I then plug into coulomb's law:

110 μN = (k*q1*q2)/d^2
And solve for d?

No, do not add the forces. Just use 55 uN for the force.

That equation gives the force F exerted by one charge on the other. They told you this force is 55 uN.

Oh, I see! Thanks :)

1. How do you calculate the electric force between two charges?

The electric force between two charges is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the two charges, divided by the square of the distance between them, and multiplied by a constant known as the permittivity of free space. The formula is F = (k * q1 * q2) / d2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the constant (8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2), q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, and d is the distance between the two charges in meters.

2. What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s2. This unit is derived from the SI base units of mass, length, and time.

3. How does distance between two charges affect the electric force?

The distance between two charges is inversely proportional to the electric force between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, which is a fundamental law of physics.

4. Can the direction of the electric force between two charges change?

Yes, the direction of the electric force can change depending on the relative charges of the two objects. If the charges are of the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force will be repulsive and will push the objects away from each other. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive and will pull the objects towards each other.

5. How is the electric force between two charges affected by the charges themselves?

The electric force between two charges is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges. This means that the larger the charges, the stronger the force between them will be. Additionally, the type of charge (positive or negative) will also affect the direction of the force, as mentioned in the previous question.