1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's law

1. May 16, 2004 #1
    Hi everyone! I really need help with my physics assignment that is due in two days! I have done the problem but I am not even close to being sure if my solution is correct. It is my first year of engineering and I started studying after two year brake in HS and now I am having more trouble with the math, because I forgot so many things....
    The question is on Coulomb's law....
    A positron is a particle with the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge. Positrons are created in many radioactive particle decays and are present in cosmic rays. A positron and an electron can briefly form an unusual atom known as positronium. Imagine a sutuation where the two particles are in circular orbit about their center of mass. Since the particles have equal mass, the center of mass is midway between them. Let r be the separation of the particles( so the orbits are each of radius r/2)
    (a) Show that the orbital period T is related to the separation distance r by T^2= (16pi^3E)(MeMp)/(e^2)(Me+Mp)
    This is a consequence of Kepler's third law for electrical orbits. The expression simplifies because the mass of the electron Me is equal to the mass of Mp
    T^2= 8pi^3EMe/e^2 r^3
    And then there is the second part to it...which I didn't look at yet....I took the two formulas and intigrated them...I am just very unsure about the steps, I am having trouble with the algibra I think....
    Thank you....I hope someone can help me...it's percents out of my final grade....
    Thanks again

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2004 #2
    What have you done so far? Show some work..

4. May 17, 2004 #3
    I'm not at home right now, but i think i have this one figured out,. the first part at least. I'll post what I have when I get home tonight. Maybe we can figure the second part out together.

Mandy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?