1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Law

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a washer (inner radius is a and outer radius is b) on the x-y axis with a constant surface charge density σ . What is the force felt on charge q on z-axis distance D from center of washer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to begin...
    I was thinking about drawing a triangle to a random spot on the washer from the origin to the charge q...but I don't know if that will work since it's a washer.
    I don't think I can pick a gaussian surface...can I?
    Please give some hints!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gauss's law is only useful under cylindrically symmetric cases when the cylinder extends to infinity, or it is very long and you are far from the ends; neither of these conditions are met by this problem, so that method is out.

Your idea of drawing a triangle to a random spot on the washer (x,y,0) is good. What is the separation vector [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] from the point (x,y,0) to the point (0,0,D)?How much charge [itex]dq[/itex] is contained in the infinitesimal area [itex]dxdy[/itex]? What does that make [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]? How about [itex]\vec{F}[/itex]?

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much for the help!

But I'm still a little puzzled about the problem...If I pick a random spot on the washer, then I won't know the exact distance from the origin, so I can't have a specific value for the separation vector. Right?

So, can I pick a spot on the outer radius b?

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, give your random spot the coordinates (x,y,0), what is the separation vector in terms of x and y? Remember, you are going to end up integrating over all possible random spots, so you can't restrict yourself to only those spots that are along the outer radius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?