Understanding Coulomb's Law: What if One Object has No Charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inductance and its relationship to Coulomb's law. It is noted that inductance can create a force of attraction between two objects even if only one object has a charge. The proper way to calculate the force between the two objects is to consider the distribution of charge throughout the volume of the object. Additionally, the conversation mentions the concept of electric field within the material of a conductor and notes that it must be zero, except in certain cases. There is confusion about this concept and further explanation is needed.
Cyrus
Im reading Coulmbs law and I have stumbeled upon a problem. The numerator is the product of the two charges. But according to inductance, I can create a force of attraction between two objects if only one object has a charge. So charge two would be zero? And the force would be zero!? That does not make sense, would the proper thing be to break the charge equally in half between the two objects? or should I consider the force to be the same for each object as the charged one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inductance will give you a distribution of charge even if the net charge is zero. That means, for example, that some of the redistributed charge of one sign will be closer to the external charge than the oppositely signed charge - so attractive and repulsive forces won't exactly cancel.

So then for q1 * q2, I would effectively use the same number as the charged object and assume the uncharged object has picked up the same charge value?

Yes, but you would have to do that for every element of charge dq throughout the volume of the object. Incidentally, finding the actual charge distribution is not trivial except in very special cases!

Hey Tide, what's all this junk in my book. i think there trying to explain something to me, imagine that, but i don't get it.

"we conclude that in electrostatics the electric field at every point within the material of a conductor must be zero. (Note that we are not saying that the field is necessarily zero in a hole inside a conductor)."

what in the world do they mean by that?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Coulomb's Law apply to objects with no charge?

If one object has no charge, then the force between it and a charged object will be zero. This is because the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges. If one charge is zero, then the product will also be zero, resulting in no force between the two objects.

3. Can an object have a negative charge?

Yes, an object can have a negative charge. This means that it has an excess of electrons, which are negatively charged particles. Objects can also have a positive charge, which means they have a deficiency of electrons.

4. How does distance affect the force between two charged objects?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force decreases. For example, if the distance between two objects is doubled, the force between them will decrease by a factor of four.

5. What is the unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law is Coulomb (C). This unit is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who first described the law in the late 18th century.