1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's law

1. Sep 2, 2005 #1
    Can someone explain this law to me in simple terms? I know that it is the electrostatic force between 2 charged objects in relation to the quantity and inversly related to the square of distance F=K q1 q2 / d^2 ..but what if you have atoms that are spearated by a certain distance and have extra electrons? What happens to the force if you double the charges?
    Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2005 #2
    [tex]q_1[/tex] and [tex]q_2[/tex] represents the net charge of the atoms. For example, if you have [tex]Fe^2^+[/tex] and [tex]Cl^-[/tex], then [tex]q_1[/tex] and [tex]q_2[/tex] would be 2 and 1, respectively. The second number would be positive because it accepts a negative charge by default, making the answer a positive number.
  4. Sep 3, 2005 #3
    so, the formula I typed above is correct and could be used with 2 oxygen atoms, 3 cm apart and each have 2 extra electrons ? Wouldn't I get a -2 charge?
    (-2)(-2) / 3cm ??
  5. Sep 3, 2005 #4
    well, atoms for the most part are neutral. if you had two oxygen atoms that somehow gained electrons and each had a negative 2 charge that were placed next to eachother, they'd fly apart. negative * negative = positive -- repulsive force. negative * posative = negative -- attractive force.

doubling the charges of each one -- look at the equation.

F = (1/4*pi*epsilon-zero)*(q1)(q2)/d^2

say each charge is e (charge of an electron), and you double each one (2e), the magnitude of the force will increase by a factor of 4 (2*2).

dealing with atoms is a bit tricky, but to simplify it enough to say that there is a uniform sphereical charge distribution at the location of each ion would work. two negative ions placed near eachother in a closed system would accelerate away from eachother on the line that they create.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?