Coulomb's Low And Dirac Delta Functio

In summary, the conversation is about proving Coulomb's Law for a single point charge using the general form of the equation and the Dirac Delta function. The equation for Coulomb's Law is given and the person is struggling to find a solution, asking for help and guidance. The conversation also mentions the use of a book and provides a link for more information on the Dirac Delta function.
life engineer
I want to prove coulomb's low for a single charge point from the general form of coulomb's low:
E→=1/(4∏€) ∫∫∫ ρv(ŕ) * (r→- ŕ→)/│(r→- ŕ→)│^3 dŕ
using Dirac Delta function
where r→ is the field point vector
ŕ→ is the source point vector
ρv(ŕ) is the volume charge density
I really don't know how to do it . I tried a lot but couldn't do it so can u help me please as soon as possible.Just guide me how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey guys I can use a little help here. Just give me a hint.I really really need ur help

The equation looks messed up (try LaTeX), but I guess you mean:

[tex]\vec E(\vec r)=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int_V \frac{\rho(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|^3}(\vec r-\vec r')dV'[/tex]

Show what you have done so far. Ofcourse, you should know what the charge density of a point particle looks like.

yes ur guess is right the equation u wrote is the one I meant . yet I didnt reach any thing that make sense. I guess because I don't know the charge density for the point charge and because I don't know a lot about dirac delta function. I know it converts continuous functions into discreete ones Ithink this is the main idea of the solution but yet I don't know how Can u help me please?

Ofcourse, you should read up on what the dirac delta function is before using it to solve anything. I`m sure there's a discussion about it in your book.
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/DiracDeltaFunction.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the force between two electrically charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the mathematical equation for Coulomb's Law?

The mathematical equation for Coulomb's Law is F = (k * q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the significance of Dirac Delta Function in Coulomb's Law?

The Dirac Delta Function is a mathematical function that is used to represent a point charge in Coulomb's Law. It helps in simplifying the mathematical calculations and allows us to treat the charge as a point rather than a distributed charge.

What are the units of Coulomb's Constant in Coulomb's Law?

The units of Coulomb's Constant, k, in Coulomb's Law depend on the units used for charge, distance, and force. In SI units, k has the value of 8.99 x 10^9 N·m^2/C^2.

How is Coulomb's Law related to the electric field?

Coulomb's Law is closely related to the electric field as it is used to calculate the electric field strength at a point due to a charge. The electric field is defined as the force per unit charge, thus, by rearranging the equation for Coulomb's Law, we can calculate the electric field strength at a point.