1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulomb's Low And Dirac Delta Functio

1. Sep 30, 2005 #1
    I want to prove coulomb's low for a single charge point from the general form of coulomb's low:
    E→=1/(4∏€) ∫∫∫ ρv(ŕ) * (r→- ŕ→)/│(r→- ŕ→)│^3 dŕ
    using Dirac Delta function
    where r→ is the field point vector
    ŕ→ is the source point vector
    ρv(ŕ) is the volume charge density
    I really don't know how to do it . I tried a lot but couldn't do it so can u help me please as soon as possible.Just guide me how to do it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2005 #2
    Hey guys I can use a little help here. Just give me a hint.I really really need ur help

4. Oct 1, 2005 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation looks messed up (try LaTeX), but I guess you mean:

[tex]\vec E(\vec r)=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\int_V \frac{\rho(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|^3}(\vec r-\vec r')dV'[/tex]

Show what you have done so far. Ofcourse, you should know what the charge density of a point particle looks like.

5. Oct 1, 2005 #4
    yes ur guess is right the equation u wrote is the one I meant . yet I didnt reach any thing that make sense. I guess because I dont know the charge density for the point charge and because I dont know alot about dirac delta function. I know it converts continuous functions into discreete ones Ithink this is the main idea of the solution but yet I dont know how Can u help me plz?

6. Oct 2, 2005 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ofcourse, you should read up on what the dirac delta function is before using it to solve anything. I`m sure there's a discussion about it in your book.
    http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/DiracDeltaFunction.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?