Solving Spherical Insulator Problem: Tension & Angle

In summary, the problem involves a small spherical insulator with a mass of 9.00 x 10-2 kg and a charge of +0.400 µC hanging from a thin wire. Another charge of -0.700 µC is held 0.150 m away from the sphere and to the right, causing the wire to make an angle with the vertical. To solve this problem, one must consider the Coulomb force between the two charges, as well as the force of gravity acting on the insulator's mass. Using vector components and a free body diagram, one can find the angle and tension in the wire.
BoogieL80
I'm working on the following problem:

A small spherical insulator of mass 9.00 x 10-2 kg and charge q1 = +0.400 µC is hung by a thin wire of negligible mass. A charge q2 = -0.700 µC is held 0.150 m away from the sphere and directly to the right of it, so the wire makes an angle with the vertical (see the drawing).

http://www.boomspeed.com/boogiel80/hmwk18colulumb.gif

(a) Find the angle

b) Find the tension in the wire.

I figured out that the force that pulls between the two masses is around 1.12 x 10-1N. But after that I'm not sure where to go. I don't see how I can solve this problem using vecotor components (that is what I'm assuming I have to do). Also what does mass have to do with this problem? Does it have something to do with the tension? I normally can at least start problems, but this one I'm a little lost on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of what other forces there are in this system. It's not only the Coulomb force, there is another force which takes into account the mass. Which one is it? If you can get it, you can then use vector components to get the answers. Hopefully this will help.

What force depends on mass?
Draw a free body diagram were you break all the forces into 2 components - the x and the y axises. You get two equations (one for each axis). With that you can find the two unknowns.

1. What is the spherical insulator problem?

The spherical insulator problem refers to a physics problem in which an insulating sphere is suspended by two strings attached at different points on its surface. The goal is to determine the tension and angle of each string in order to keep the sphere in equilibrium.

2. What factors affect the tension and angle in the spherical insulator problem?

The tension and angle in the spherical insulator problem are affected by the weight of the sphere, the distance between the attachment points of the strings, and the strength of the strings themselves. Other factors may also play a role depending on the specific scenario.

3. How can the tension and angle be calculated in the spherical insulator problem?

The tension and angle can be calculated using the equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on an object must equal zero for it to be in equilibrium. These equations can be solved using trigonometric principles and basic algebra.

4. Are there any real-world applications for the spherical insulator problem?

Yes, the spherical insulator problem has practical applications in the design of suspension systems for objects such as chandeliers, bridges, and antennas. It can also be used to analyze the stability of objects in outer space, where gravity and tension forces play a crucial role.

5. What are some potential challenges when solving the spherical insulator problem?

Some potential challenges when solving the spherical insulator problem include accurately determining the weight and dimensions of the sphere, accounting for any external forces acting on the sphere, and ensuring that the strings are strong enough to support the weight of the sphere. Additionally, solving the equations of equilibrium may require advanced mathematical skills and may become more complex with multiple strings or attachments.