Solving Two Identical Conduction Spheres Problem

In summary, the problem involves two identical conduction spheres with a distance of 0.30m between their centers. One sphere is given a charge of 12 x 10^-9 C while the other has a charge of -18 x 10^-9 C. Part a) requires finding the electrostatic force exerted on one sphere by the other, using the equation F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2. For part b), the spheres are connected by a conducting wire and the electrostatic force between them after equilibrium is reached needs to be determined. In this case, the charges will redistribute themselves so that both spheres carry the same net charge. To find the average charge, one can take the absolute value of
AznBoi

Homework Statement

Two identical conduction spheres are placed with their centers 0.30m apart. One is given a charge of 12 x 10 ^-9 C, the other a charge of -18 x 10 ^-9 C a) Find the electrostatic force exerted on one sphere by the other. b) The spheres are connected by a conducting wire. Find the electrostatic force between the two after equilibrium is reached.

Homework Equations

F=k(q1)(q2)/r^2 C

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved a). It was really easy because all I did was plug in the correct information with the correct variables and solved for the electrostatic force between the objects.

How in the world do you start part b)?? Equilibrium means that the net force (F) will equal zero right? However, that isn't true because there is a force in the answer key. Mabye I'm thinking about the motion force and not the electrostatic force. Is there always a consistent electrostatic force?

Please. Can someone help me start part b) of the problem? I'm clueless here. Do you still use the same equation? I know that you can never just keep plugging in numbers to solve for these problems lol. I want to understand the concepts as well. Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
note when there is a conducting wire connecting the two sphere... charges will re-distribute themselves so that both spheres carry the same net charge...

Does that mean I have to find the average of the two charges and then plug them into the equation? If I find the average, do I use the absolute value of the charges or do I include any negative signs?

AznBoi said:
Does that mean I have to find the average of the two charges and then plug them into the equation? If I find the average, do I use the absolute value of the charges or do I include any negative signs?

Can someone please tell me if the above procedure will work? I know for a fact that the electrons (charges) are distributed evenly. How should one do this? My method is quoted above. Will it work? Thanks.

1. What is the "Solving Two Identical Conduction Spheres Problem"?

The "Solving Two Identical Conduction Spheres Problem" is a scientific problem that involves two identical spheres in contact with each other. The problem requires finding the temperature distribution and heat flow between the two spheres when they are in thermal equilibrium.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it has practical applications in the field of thermodynamics and heat transfer. It helps us understand how heat flows between two objects in contact and how temperature equilibrium is achieved.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving this problem?

The key factors to consider are the thermal conductivity of the spheres, their surface area, and the initial temperature difference between them. These factors determine the rate of heat transfer and the final temperature distribution between the spheres.

4. How is this problem solved?

This problem can be solved using mathematical equations derived from the laws of thermodynamics. The equations take into account the key factors mentioned above and can be solved using numerical methods or analytical techniques.

5. What are some real-life examples of the "Solving Two Identical Conduction Spheres Problem"?

Real-life examples of this problem include the heat transfer between two objects in contact, such as a hot cup of coffee placed on a table or the heating of a metal rod when one end is placed in a fire. This problem also applies to the distribution of heat in systems such as engines, electronic devices, and buildings.