Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Count the F's

1. May 29, 2009 #1
    This is cool

Count every " F" in the following text:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE
    SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
    FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
    THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS...

How many?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I see 6

4. May 29, 2009 #3
    obviously not 3.Could it be 23?

5. May 29, 2009 #4
    Read it agin, SLOWLY

6. May 29, 2009 #5
    Whoops I can't count.I make it 21

7. May 29, 2009 #6

Count every " F" in the following text:

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
    FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH

How many?[/QUOTE]

I count 1. This may be the old school knowledge of html in me but you have written "SPACE F" which translates in html to: " F"

The only place I see " F", i.e. "SPACE F"/" F" (underline=space) is on the first line after the "D", i.e.:

SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
    FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH

8. May 30, 2009 #7
    Sorry swatforlife but i have no idea what you talking about.

Just read the text and tell me how many F's you see.

9. May 30, 2009 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I must admit I like swatforlife answer. And you have just changed the question. F and " F" are different things.

10. May 30, 2009 #9
    yeah, swat4lifes anwser is quite clever.

11. May 30, 2009 #10
    Spoiler:
    The point of the text is that when most people read this text they only count 3 F's and they miss out the "ofs", also if you count all 6 F's you are supposed to be a genius.
    I only counted 3 :mad:

12. May 30, 2009 #11
    Yes I only counted three separate Fs as well but I saw each letter E as being made of two Fs one being upside down and rotated.

13. May 30, 2009 #12
    At first I counted 6 but then i noticed that you had put a space " F" in your OP so I thought that had somethign to do with it lol. now reading the answers I can see that the correct answer was 6

14. May 30, 2009 #13
    Haha - tx. I'm either a genius or a "5 under par" retard, lol.

Actually, to be cheeky, in terms of a "correct" answer, I guess it depends on what one is "reading" and a clear statement of the assumptions necessary for the answer to be deemed "correct".

Are you reading what's obvious (words) or more subtle - in this case binary code.

For instance, "F", " F" and "OF" are all different numerically/mathematically i.e binary code.

Specifically in terms of the binary code:

"F" - is 01000110
    " F" -is 00100000 01000110
    "OF" -is 01001111 01000110

so "OF" and " F" and "F" all mean something different. Actually, there's one more variation I've just noticed as well....

The question says:
    Count every: " F"

and in binary code ' " F" ' [i.e. (quote)+(space)+(F)+(quote)] is:
    00100010 00100000 01000110 00100010

So I guess it's all open to interpretation, huh? :smile:

fun binary code encoder --> www. theproblemsite. com/codes/binary.asp

quick edit/update:
    In this last answer, I assumed that a space, was used to denote unique ideas/variables, so the command was to count everything that appeared after the phrase "count every". This is a reasonable assumption as we don't normally write something like

Iwanttogotothestore
    . We separate unique ideas/variables like:

I want to go to the store
    . So everything that appeared after "count every" was counted -", SPACE, F, "
    In my first answer, I assumed that the variable(s) in question were defined by everything inside of the quotes i.e. "SPACE F"/" F"

I'm getting the feeling I'm spending far to much time around certain kinds of forums and tech related individuals, lol

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  15. May 30, 2009 #14
    You might be spending a bit to much time with that tech stuff, but at least it seems your not half bad at it.

16. May 31, 2009 #15
    lol i originally thought 1 because you had a space before F, but then figured it was a typo

and if yoou count all 6, u arent a genius. i got them all, and im not a genius

17. Jun 1, 2009 #16
    [QUOTE

and if yoou count all 6, u arent a genius. i got them all, and im not a genius[/QUOTE]

Don't say that ,you will upset Borek:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook