1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Countability homework problem

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A real number [tex]x \in R[/tex] is called algebraic if there exist integers [tex]a_{0},a_{1},a_{2}...,a_{n}[/tex], not all zero, such that

[tex]a_{n}x^{n} + a_{n}_{1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}x + a_{0} = 0 [/tex]

Said another way, a real number is algebraic if it is the root of a polynomial with integer coefficients...

Fix [tex]n \in N[/tex], and let [tex]A_{n}[/tex] be the algebraic numbers obtained as roots of polynomials with integer coefficients that have degree [tex]n[/tex]. Using the fact that every polynomial has a finite number of roots, show that [tex]A_{n}[/tex] is countable. (For each [tex]m \in M[/tex], consider polynomials [tex]a_{n}x^{n} + a_{n}_{1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}x + a_{0} [/tex] that satisfy [tex]\left|a_{n}\right| + \left|a_{n-1}\right| + ... + \left|a_{1}\right| + \left|a_{0}\right| \leq m [/tex].)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to explain this coherently... here is what I have. I feel like there are some holes.

-Every polynomial has a finite # of roots (therefore it is countable)

-[tex]m \in N[/tex] is the sum of all integer coefficients for the roots of polynomials.

-Let [tex]C_{m}[/tex] be a set containing all possible polynomials whose integer coefficients add up to [tex]m[/tex] for a fixed [tex]n[/tex]. Since there are finite ways to express [tex]m[/tex] as a sum of integers, each [tex]C_{m}[/tex] is countable.

-Every [tex]A_{n}[/tex] is made up of [tex]C_{m}[/tex], so [tex]A_{n}[/tex] is countable (since union of a countable # of countable sets is countable).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Countability

I don't see anything wrong with that. As you said, a union of countable sets is countable. That's the point, right?

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    Re: Countability

Yeah, what I came up with at the end is probably correct... I guess I'm more concerned about whether each step makes sense or if there's anything I should clarify more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook