Countability of Algebraic Numbers as Roots of Polynomials

In summary: I don't know. In summary, this is what I think: -Every polynomial has a finite number of roots (therefore it is countable)-m \in N is the sum of all integer coefficients for the roots of polynomials. -Let C_{m} be a set containing all possible polynomials whose integer coefficients add up to m for a fixed n. Since there are finite ways to express m as a sum of integers, each C_{m} is countable.-Every A_{n} is made up of C_{m}, so A_{n} is countable (since union of a countable # of countable sets is countable).
DPMachine

Homework Statement

A real number [tex]x \in R[/tex] is called algebraic if there exist integers [tex]a_{0},a_{1},a_{2}...,a_{n}[/tex], not all zero, such that

[tex]a_{n}x^{n} + a_{n}_{1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}x + a_{0} = 0 [/tex]

Said another way, a real number is algebraic if it is the root of a polynomial with integer coefficients...

Fix [tex]n \in N[/tex], and let [tex]A_{n}[/tex] be the algebraic numbers obtained as roots of polynomials with integer coefficients that have degree [tex]n[/tex]. Using the fact that every polynomial has a finite number of roots, show that [tex]A_{n}[/tex] is countable. (For each [tex]m \in M[/tex], consider polynomials [tex]a_{n}x^{n} + a_{n}_{1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_{1}x + a_{0} [/tex] that satisfy [tex]\left|a_{n}\right| + \left|a_{n-1}\right| + ... + \left|a_{1}\right| + \left|a_{0}\right| \leq m [/tex].)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to explain this coherently... here is what I have. I feel like there are some holes.

-Every polynomial has a finite # of roots (therefore it is countable)

-[tex]m \in N[/tex] is the sum of all integer coefficients for the roots of polynomials.

-Let [tex]C_{m}[/tex] be a set containing all possible polynomials whose integer coefficients add up to [tex]m[/tex] for a fixed [tex]n[/tex]. Since there are finite ways to express [tex]m[/tex] as a sum of integers, each [tex]C_{m}[/tex] is countable.

-Every [tex]A_{n}[/tex] is made up of [tex]C_{m}[/tex], so [tex]A_{n}[/tex] is countable (since union of a countable # of countable sets is countable).

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't see anything wrong with that. As you said, a union of countable sets is countable. That's the point, right?

Dick said:
I don't see anything wrong with that. As you said, a union of countable sets is countable. That's the point, right?

Yeah, what I came up with at the end is probably correct... I guess I'm more concerned about whether each step makes sense or if there's anything I should clarify more.

1. What is a "countability homework problem"?

A countability homework problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the number of elements in a set or group. These problems typically involve counting or specifying the size of a set, and can be found in various areas of mathematics, such as discrete mathematics, set theory, and combinatorics.

2. How do I approach a countability homework problem?

The best way to approach a countability homework problem is to first carefully read and understand the problem statement. Next, identify the type of countability problem it is (e.g. counting, permutations, combinations) and determine the relevant formulas or techniques that can be applied. Then, organize and manipulate the given information to solve the problem step by step.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving countability homework problems?

Some common mistakes when solving countability homework problems include misinterpreting the problem statement, using incorrect formulas or techniques, not checking the work for errors, and not clearly communicating the solution or answer. It is important to carefully read the problem, double check the work, and clearly show all steps in the solution process.

4. Can you provide an example of a countability homework problem?

Sure. An example of a countability homework problem is: "How many ways can a student choose 3 out of 7 different books to read for their summer reading list?" This is a combination problem, and the answer can be found using the formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n=7 and r=3. The solution is 35 ways.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with countability homework problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can assist with countability homework problems. Some examples include online calculators that can solve specific types of countability problems, such as permutations and combinations, as well as interactive tutorials and practice problems that can help improve understanding and skills in this area of mathematics.