Countable Base and Subcover: A Topological Conundrum?

• Thread starter wayneckm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that states that in a topological space with a countable base, every open cover has a finite or countable subcover. The concept of countable base and its relation to open covers is explained, and the idea of constructing a countable subcover from an uncountable cover is discussed. The conversation also touches upon the definition of a subcover and the importance of finding a countable subcover from an uncountable open cover.
wayneckm
Hello all,

I am a newbie to topology. Hope someone can help sharpen my understanding.

I read a theorem that "if [tex] T [/tex] is a topological space with countable base, then every open cover has a finite or countable subcover"

Apparently this is quite intuitive because as in the definition of countable base, every open set should be generated by it, and [tex] T [/tex] is by definition open, so that means it should be the union of the countable base. Obviously this is the "smallest size" open cover which is of course countable, so any open cover cannot get smaller "size" than this?

Also, somehow I am quite confused with countable subcover, because if an open cover is "as countable as" the base, this means every set is just that in the base, hence, this is the just the open cover formed by the base, so is the above theorem valid, i.e. open cover and subcover are the same is allowed?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
wayneckm said:
Hello all,

I am a newbie to topology. Hope someone can help sharpen my understanding.

I read a theorem that "if [tex] T [/tex] is a topological space with countable base, then every open cover has a finite or countable subcover"

Apparently this is quite intuitive because as in the definition of countable base, every open set should be generated by it, and [tex] T [/tex] is by definition open, so that means it should be the union of the countable base. Obviously this is the "smallest size" open cover which is of course countable, so any open cover cannot get smaller "size" than this?

Well, yes, that is the correct idea, but you should be able to show how to construct a countable subcover from a given uncountable cover {O_i}.

wayneckm said:
Also, somehow I am quite confused with countable subcover, because if an open cover is "as countable as" the base, this means every set is just that in the base, hence, this is the just the open cover formed by the base, so is the above theorem valid, i.e. open cover and subcover are the same is allowed?

This I don't follow. Maybe you can rewrite that question in other (more precise) terms?

quasar987 said:
Well, yes, that is the correct idea, but you should be able to show how to construct a countable subcover from a given uncountable cover {O_i}.

This I don't follow. Maybe you can rewrite that question in other (more precise) terms?

Actually I am confused with the following cases:

i) An uncountable open cover ----> countable subcover (Meaningful)

ii) Countable open cover ----> countable subcover (Meaningful, because the former one can be of cardinality larger than the later one, so subcover makes sense to me)

iii) Countable open cover ---->?? countable subcover (if they have the same cardinality, or in other words there exists homeomorphism, I do not know if I use correctly the word "homeomorphism" here, so in this case apparently we cannot further extract a subcover)

So in general, we should be interested in reducing the cardinality of an open cover while maintaining the "covering ability" when we talk about subcover?

Thanks again!

wayneckm said:
Actually I am confused with the following cases:

i) An uncountable open cover ----> countable subcover (Meaningful)

ii) Countable open cover ----> countable subcover (Meaningful, because the former one can be of cardinality larger than the later one, so subcover makes sense to me)

iii) Countable open cover ---->?? countable subcover (if they have the same cardinality, or in other words there exists homeomorphism, I do not know if I use correctly the word "homeomorphism" here, so in this case apparently we cannot further extract a subcover)

What does "---->" mean here? And in what sense are you using the word "Meaningful"? Also, ii) and iii) look the same to me, so why is ii) meaningful and iii) is not?

wayneckm said:
So in general, we should be interested in reducing the cardinality of an open cover while maintaining the "covering ability" when we talk about subcover?
Huh?

Sorry for my unclear presentation.

"Meaningful" to me means I can get a "strictly smaller" collection of sets from its original collection of sets.

So in (ii), I assume the open cover contain "more" sets while still being countable, and the subcover is formed by throwing away at least one set from the open cover. So the "size" is strictly smaller.

In (iii), I assume the open cover is already the "smallest" one, so in this case, I don't know whether there exists a subcover.

Or back to the first post, if the open cover is the union of countable base, can we still make the same conclusion?

I am sorry, but you are still not making any sense. If S is a countable (infinite) set and s is an element of S, then both S and S-{s} are countable; you cannot say that S-{s} has "strictly samaller size" unless you have defined some weird notion of size which I don't know. Also, you haven't explained what you mean by "--->". Please try to use precise, correct mathematical language.

So sorry again. Maybe I should write in this way:

if [tex] T [/tex] is a topological space with countable base, then every open cover has a finite or countable subcover.

If I take the open cover to be union of elements in countable base, then it covers [tex] T [/tex]. So is there any finite/countable subcover in this case?

Ok, and what is the definition of a subcover? If you read the definition carefully, you will notice that every open cover is a subcover of itself.

So if B is your countable basis, then, yes it admits a countable subcover, namely, B itself.

This is the trivial case.

The real problem is in showing that if you have an uncountable open cover, then you can find a countable subcover.

Alright, that's what I need. Thanks so much!

1. What is a countable base?

A countable base, also known as a basis, is a collection of open sets in a topological space that can be used to generate all other open sets in that space. It is a fundamental tool in topology and is used to define various topological properties such as connectedness and compactness.

2. How is a countable base different from a subcover?

A countable base is a collection of open sets that covers a topological space, while a subcover is a subset of that collection that also covers the space. In other words, a countable base is a larger set that contains a subcover within it.

3. What is the significance of having a countable base?

A countable base allows for a more manageable way to study and understand topological spaces. It simplifies the process of proving topological properties and provides a framework for defining important concepts such as continuity and convergence.

4. Can a topological space have more than one countable base?

Yes, a topological space can have multiple countable bases. In fact, most topological spaces have infinitely many countable bases. However, any two countable bases for the same space will contain the same open sets.

5. How do you determine if a subcover is minimal?

A subcover is considered minimal if it is a subset of any other subcover for the same space. In other words, if there is no way to remove any open sets from the subcover without losing coverage of the space, then it is considered minimal.