Proving the Countable Collection is a Basis for R2 using Definition of a Basis

• Thread starter tomboi03
  • Start date
In summary, we need to show that the countable collection {(a,b) x (c,d) | a<b and c<d and a,b,c,d are rational} satisfies the two axioms for a basis in order to prove that it is a basis for R^2. This involves finding an element in the basis containing a given point p = (x, y) and showing that the intersection of two basis elements also contains p. It may also be helpful to consider a more general result of the product of two bases being a basis for the product space. However, it should be noted that this is not always the case, as shown by the example of the order topology on R.
tomboi03
Show that the countable collection
{(a,b) x (c,d) | a<b and c<d and a,b,c,d are rational}
is a basis for R2.

I was wondering... if i have to use the definition of a basis in order to solve this?
soo... meaning.. a basis:
Axioms:
1. for each x [tex]\in[/tex]X, there is at least one basis element B containing x.
2. If x belongs to the intersection of two basis elements B1 and B2, then there is a basis element B3 containing x such that B3[tex]\subset[/tex]B1[tex]\cap[/tex]B2.

right? or am i wrong?

Thank You,
Jonnah Song

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think that's exactly what you're supposed to do.
In my experience, topology often makes small steps which either involve checking that the definition is satisfied, or applying the correct theorem / lemma.

So let p = (x, y) be a point in R^2 and start by finding an element in the basis which contains p;

Or, if you want a more general result, prove that if the collection B is
a basis for X , and B' is a basis for Y , then BxB' is a basis for XxY.
It may be a good idea to try both exercises. (Note that I am not saying--
it is actually false -- that the product topology on a product XxY is the same
as the product of the topologies, i.e., the order topology on XxY is not necessarily
the same as the product of the order topologies of X and Y. A specific example
is that of the order topology on R; order intervals in R^2 are not the product
of order intervals in R . An example when it is true, is for the discreet
topology.)

1. What is a countable collection?

A countable collection is a set of distinct objects that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). This means that each object in the collection can be assigned a unique number, and there are no missing or repeating numbers in the sequence.

2. How is a countable collection different from an uncountable collection?

An uncountable collection is a set of objects that cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that there is no way to assign a unique number to each object in the collection. Examples of uncountable collections include the real numbers and the set of all possible sequences of numbers.

3. What are some examples of countable collections?

Some examples of countable collections include the set of positive integers, the set of all even numbers, and the set of all prime numbers. Other examples include the set of all squares, the set of all rational numbers, and the set of all finite subsets of a given set.

4. How do we prove that a collection is countable?

To prove that a collection is countable, we must show that it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This can be done by explicitly assigning a unique number to each object in the collection, or by showing that the collection can be arranged in a sequence without any missing or repeating elements.

5. What is the significance of countable collections in mathematics?

Countable collections play an important role in many areas of mathematics, including set theory, analysis, and topology. They allow us to classify and compare different types of collections, and they provide a framework for understanding the concept of infinity. Countable collections also have practical applications in computer science and cryptography.