Finding Counterexamples in Analysis: Tips and Tricks

In summary, a counter example in analysis is a specific instance or case that disproves a general statement or proposition in mathematics. They are helpful in analysis because they allow for the identification and correction of errors in proofs and theories. A counter example cannot be used to prove a theorem, but rather to disprove it. They are not unique and can be used in other areas of science besides mathematics.
kostas230
I'm not sure this is the correct section, but I have a problem. I'm a physics undergrad self-studying analysis from baby rudin, finishing Chaper 2. I seem to be able to work all the exercises and sometimes find other proofs to given theorems, but I have a problem in finding counter-examples in certain exercises. How should I study? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Many counterexamples are quite simple ... start from the proposed rule, and consider simple situations which might go wrong.

But even then you will find that ingenuity is required.

1. What is a counter example in analysis?

A counter example in analysis is a specific instance or case that disproves a general statement or proposition in mathematics. It is used to demonstrate that a theorem or conjecture is not always true by providing a specific example that contradicts it.

2. How are counter examples helpful in analysis?

Counter examples are helpful in analysis because they allow mathematicians to identify and correct errors in proofs and theories. They also help to better understand the limitations and boundaries of mathematical concepts and theorems.

3. Can a counter example be used to prove a theorem?

No, a counter example cannot be used to prove a theorem. It can only be used to disprove a theorem by showing that it is not always true. In order to prove a theorem, a valid and rigorous proof must be provided.

4. Are counter examples unique in analysis?

No, counter examples are not unique in analysis. There can be multiple counter examples for a single theorem or concept, each providing a different perspective or approach to disproving the statement.

5. Can counter examples be used in other areas of science besides mathematics?

Yes, counter examples can be used in other areas of science besides mathematics. They can be used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics to challenge and improve existing theories and hypotheses.