1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counterexample help

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    Find a counterexample to the statement "For all real numbers u and v, (u + v)^2 is not equal to u2 + v2."

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What work have you done on the problem? Have you tried anything at all? It's actually harder to find an example than it is a counterexample....

(I assume you meant to write something like [itex](u + v)^2[/itex] -- the proper way to write that when you can't use a superscript is as (u+v)^2, because what you actually wrote is to multiply by 2, and that's a very different problem. :tongue:)

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    Hey Hurkyl,
    I've tried a couple of things, but I know they are not right. Should I post them here anyway :(

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely. It is forum policy that we won't offer much help until you've shown that you've worked on a problem.... (p.s. wee the edits in my previous post)

6. Mar 1, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You want a counterexample for a basic property of Real Numbers? Yes, I know what set of numbers would give a counterexample. It is the set {}.

7. Mar 1, 2009 #6
    Now I'm really confused

8. Mar 2, 2009 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Lol he's just being slight cruel.

Try substitute some small numbers for u and v, see if your Left hand side is equal to your right hand side.

9. Mar 2, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, he's just being completely wrong.

To find a counter example to "(x+ y)2 is NOT x2+ y2", you must use x and y so that (x+y)2= x2+ y2.
    Presumably you know that (x+ y)2= x2+ 2xy+ y2. That means you must find x and y so that x2+ 2xy+ y2= x2+ y2.

Notice that the squares on both sides cancel. What does that leave you with?

10. Mar 2, 2009 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

From original: "(u + v)^2 is not equal to u2 + v2."

Actually, I misread the original relation. Either that or the "2" was not shown as exponentiation; but as shown on the right-hand side, the "2" are not shown as exponents.

11. Mar 2, 2009 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, I read it as "Find a counterexample to 'for all real numbers x,y it is NOT true that [itex](u+ v)^2= u^2+ v^2[/itex]'" and there is an easy counterexample as I pointed out.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  12. Mar 2, 2009 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That is not what was written originally. The 2's on the righthand side were not exponentiated.

13. Mar 6, 2009 #12
    The notation isn't the problem. The statement "For all real numbers x,y, (x+y)^2!=2x+2y" is still false. I read it the same as Hurkyl.

14. Mar 7, 2009 #13

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Why so? try [itex]y=-x[/itex] and [itex]y=2-x[/itex]

edit: I misread "for all real numbers" as "for what real numbers"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook