1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counterexample Topology

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]( X, \tau_x)[/tex] [tex] (Y, \tau_y)[/tex] topological spaces, [itex](x_n)[/itex] an inheritance that converges at [tex]x \in X[/tex], and let [tex]f_*:X\rightarrow Y[/itex].
    Then, [tex]f[/itex] is continuos, if given [itex](x_n)[/itex] that converges at [tex]x \in X [/tex], then [tex]f((x_n))[/itex] converges at [tex]f(x)[/itex].
    I need a counter example, to prove that the reciprocal is not true.

All I know is that X should not be first countable.
    Please, help me.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think there are some translation problems here. [itex](x_n)[/itex] is a "sequence" not an "inheritance". And you want to show that the "converse" of that statement, not the "reciprocal", is false.

The converse of "If for any sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex] that converges to x, [itex](f(x_n))[/itex] converges to f(x) then f is continuous at x" is "if f is continuous at x, then for any sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex] that converges x, [itex](f(x_n))[/itex] converges to f(x)".

I wonder if you don't have the statement reversed. The converse, as stated, IS true and there is no counter example.

However, if the original statement were "if f is continuous at x and [itex](x_n)[/itex] is a sequence that converges to x, then [itex](f(x_n))[/itex] converges to f(x)", its converse, "if [itex](x_n)[/itex] is a sequence converging to x and [itex](f(x_n))[/itex] converges to f(x), then f is continuous at x" is false. It might happen that there exist such a sequence (but other sequences,[itex](a_n)[/itex] converging to x for which [itex](f(a_n))[/itex] does NOT converge to f(x)) but f(x) is not continuous at x.

To look for a counter example, an obvious thing to do is to look at functions that are NOT continous at some number x in the real line. Giving different formulas to rational and irrational x might be useful.
  4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    That`s true.

Thanks for help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?