Counting 1 <self-studying>

In summary, there are a total of 8 sets of four consecutive integers such that the product of the four integers is less than 100,000. This can be determined by finding the first set of four consecutive integers whose product is equal to or greater than 100,000 and subtracting 1 from the first integer.
rocomath
How many sets of four consecutive integers are there such that the product of the four integers is less than 100,000?

[tex]Set_1=1,2,3,4[/tex]
[tex]Set_2=5,6,7,8[/tex]
[tex]Set_3=9,10,11,12[/tex]

[tex]Set_n=a\cdot b\cdot c\cdot d<100,000[/tex]

Okay, I know I could continue with my Sets, but there has got to be a more logical approach. Help start me off please! I've already plugged and chugged it and found the amount of sets, but I want a better approach.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you skip over 2,3, 4, 5? Or 3, 4, 5, 6? Do you see that if, for some a, b, c, d, their product is less than 100000, so is the product of any 4 consecutive integers less than that?

How large must a, b, c, d be so that their product IS 100000? Since a, b, c, d are consecutive, they are relatively close to each other so their product must be close to b4. Solve b4= 100000 and look for a, b, c, d close to that. Do you see that the number sets of 4 consectutive integers whose product is less than 100000 is simply the "a-1" of the first a, b, c, d whose product is equal to or greater than 100000?

(The answer is surprisingly low!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah crap, I completely forgot about 2,3,4,5 etc :( Now my answer is completely wrong ...

Ok let me go back to this problem.

You knew your answer was not right to begin with- that's why you asked the question!

Have you payed any attention to the rest of my response? It took me about 2 minutes to solve that problem (counting the time I spent sharpening my pencil).

Last edited by a moderator:

What is counting?

Counting is the process of determining the number of objects in a given set or group.

Why is counting important?

Counting is important because it allows us to quantify and understand the world around us. It is a fundamental skill that is used in many areas such as mathematics, science, and everyday tasks like grocery shopping.

What are some strategies for counting?

There are several strategies for counting, including one-to-one correspondence, grouping objects, and using number lines or grids. These strategies help to organize and keep track of the counting process.

How can I improve my counting skills?

Practice and repetition are key to improving counting skills. Engaging in activities that involve counting, such as puzzles, games, and real-life situations, can also help to strengthen counting abilities.

Is counting only used for whole numbers?

No, counting can also be used for fractions, decimals, and other types of numbers. However, the strategies and methods for counting these types of numbers may differ from counting whole numbers.