1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting Functions and Sets

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    Counting Lists With Repetition

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many ways can you create an 8 letter password using A - Z where at most 1 letter repeats?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to attack this problem but first I thought that A-Z considers 26 letters so with no restrictions on passwords we can create 268 passwords. I'm thinking it's 268 - X, where X is a term or a series of terms, but I'm not sure how to determine them, or if this is even the correct setup.

Well there are two cases given by the restrictions as follows:
    A) No letter repeats in which we have a k list without repetition which is given by (n)k = n!/(n-k)!

B) One letter repeats in which case I think it's 26*[(n-1)!/(n-k-1)!].

And of course in this case n = 26 k = 8. Is this correct? If not could someone give me a hint?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2
    In the case of taking an 8-list of 26 letters where at most 1 letter repeats, would it just be the sum of case A and case B as I wrote?

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    i think you almost nailed it. i would separate it to 2 sections.
    one - no repeating. in this particular case, we choose 8 letters from 26 and count all the ways we can order them, which is what you've mentioned [itex]\frac{26!}{(26-8)!}[/itex]

two - one letter repeats. in this one, we choose only 7 letters from 26 and count all the way we can order 8 letters and subtract the number of ways we order the letters when the two similar letters are together.

why is that? i'll let you ponder about it. :)

then - as you've already typed, you will add what you've gotten from the 1st section and add it to the result of the 2nd section and that's the
    answer to your question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook