1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting measure

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the measure space {X,S,u} where u is the counting measure
    S= all subsets of X
    fn(x)=[tex]\chi[/tex]{1,2,,,..n}(x) where [tex]\chi[/tex] is the characteristic (indicator) function.

Does fn(x) converge
    b.almost uniformly
    c.in measure

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My guess would be
    a.pointwise.yes, since it goes eventually to 1 , but it's hard to demonstrate this
    b. almost uniformly : yes?
    c. in measure: yes? follows directly from b if the answer to b is yes
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    a) Yes. Take [tex]x \in X[/tex]. It shouldn't too difficult to show that eventually [tex]|f_n ( x ) - 1 | = 0[/tex].
    b) See (c)
    c) No. It's easy to see that the only possible limit is [tex]f\equiv1[/tex]. Now, for any [tex]1>\varepsilon>0, n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex], [tex]\{ | f_n - 1 | > \varepsilon \} = \{ n + 1, n + 2, \ldots \}[/tex]. What is the measure of this set? What does this say about almost uniform convergence?
  4. Dec 1, 2008 #3
    I think the only problem is that we have to find the cardinality of (n+1,n+2,n+3...) as n goes to infinity. As n goes to infinity, there is no number larger than n and in fact no n+1,n+2.....can exist?
  5. Dec 1, 2008 #4
    That's not a very precise way to think about it. Think about it...without a doubt [tex]n\to\infty[/tex], but at any "stage" of this limit, [tex]n<\infty[/tex] so the set I wrote about is well-defined, and can in fact be mapped bijectively to the natural numbers. What does that imply about its cardnality?
  6. Dec 1, 2008 #5
    I completely understand the solution now.

One last question
    How to prove that the metric space (L,d)
    where L=all measurable functions
    d(f,g)=[tex]\int{\frac{|f-g|}{1+|f-g|}[/tex] is complete?

I really have no idea how to show this since I have to show that the limit of ARBITRARY cauchy sequence is another measurable function. I think it is very difficult.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  7. Dec 1, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that the complete question? What domain are your measurable functions defined on?
  8. Dec 1, 2008 #7
    Sorry, my bad (X,S,u) is a FINITE measure space and L is the set of FINITE measurable functions. no information other than that.
    no mention of lebesgue measure or borel set
  9. Dec 1, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That helps. Otherwise you wouldn't have a metric. Now your metric is equivalent to the L_1 metric, isn't it? Sorry, it's been a long time since my Real Analysis classes and I don't have this stuff at the tip of my tongue anymore.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?