How to Use Counting Methods and Inclusion-Exclusion for Subsets?

In summary, the equation demanded to be proved is very useful for solving problems such as counting the numbers of integers between 0 and 1001 that are divisible by exactly two of the numbers 2, 3, 7 and 10.
Dinheiro

Homework Statement

Let Ω be the universe and A1, A2, A3, ..., An the subsets of Ω.
Prove that the number of elements of Ω that belongs to exactly p (p≤n) of the sets A1, A2, A3, ..., An is
[itex] \sum_{k=0}^{n-p}(-1)^k\binom{p+k}{k}S_{p+k} [/itex]

in which
[itex]S_{0} = |\Omega| [/itex]
[itex]S_{1} = \sum_{i=1}^{n}|A_{i}| [/itex]
[itex]S_{2} = \sum_{1\leq i<j}^{n}|A_{i}\cap A_{j}| [/itex]

[itex]... [/itex]

And
|A| is the number of elements that belongs to A

Homework Equations

Counting methods and the principle of inclusion and exclusion

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation demanded to be proved is very useful for solving problems such as counting the numbers of integers between 0 and 1001 that are divisible by exactly two of the numbers 2, 3, 7 and 10. How should I demonstrate it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dinheiro said:

Homework Statement

Let Ω be the universe and A1, A2, A3, ..., An the subsets of Ω.
Prove that the number of elements of Ω that belongs to exactly p (p≤n) of the sets A1, A2, A3, ..., An is
[itex] \sum_{k=0}^{n-p}(-1)^k\binom{p+k}{k}S_{p+k} [/itex]

in which
[itex]S_{0} = |\Omega| [/itex]
[itex]S_{1} = \sum_{i=1}^{n}|A_{i}| [/itex]
[itex]S_{2} = \sum_{1\leq i<j}^{n}|A_{i}\cap A_{j}| [/itex]

[itex]... [/itex]

And
|A| is the number of elements that belongs to A

Homework Equations

Counting methods and the principle of inclusion and exclusion

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation demanded to be proved is very useful for solving problems such as counting the numbers of integers between 0 and 1001 that are divisible by exactly two of the numbers 2, 3, 7 and 10. How should I demonstrate it?

Do what Feller does in his Probability Theory Volume I, where he does something similar for probabilities. Just look at an element ##w## that is in exactly ##p## of the subsets ##A_i##. Let
[tex] B_p = \{ x \in \Omega: x \text{ is in exactly}\:p\: \text{of the sets} \: A_i \} [/tex]
and let ##M_p = |B_p|.##

Pick any ##w \in B_p##. How much does ##w## contribute to the right-hand-side?

For example, if ##p=2##, ##w## appears in two of the ##A_i## so contributes 2 to ##S_1## (but this is irrelevant, since ##S_1## does not appear on the right-hand-side for ##p \geq 2##). The element ##w## appears in just one doublet ##A_i \cap A_j##, so contributes 1 to ##S_2##. It does not contribute anything to ##S_3, S_4, \ldots, S_n##. So, its contribution on the right-hand-side is
[tex]{2+0 \choose 0} 1 - {2+1 \choose 1} 0 + {2+2 \choose 2} 0 - \cdots + 0 = 1 [/tex]

However, we are not yet done. How much does ##w## contribute to ##M_1##? Its contribution should be 0, since ##w \not\in B_1##. Let's look at what its contribution would be on the right-hand-side. As already stated, its contribution is 2 to ##S_1## and 1 to ##S_2## (and 0 to ##S_k, \:k \geq 3##). So, its contribution to ##M_1## would be
[tex] {1+0 \choose 0} 2 - {1+1 \choose 1} 1 + {1 + 2 \choose 2} 0 - \cdots + 0 = 2 - 2 = 0[/tex]
This is as it should be.

Try the simpler case ##p=1##, then try ##p=3##. After than you might see how to handle the general case.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Great, Ray! I didn't know about this book, though. Thanks

Last edited:

1. What are the different types of counting methods for subsets?

There are three main types of counting methods for subsets: the fundamental principle of counting, permutations, and combinations. The fundamental principle of counting is used when the order of the elements in the subset matters. Permutations are used when the order of the elements does not matter, but repetition is not allowed. Combinations are used when the order of the elements does not matter and repetition is allowed.

2. How do you calculate the number of subsets for a given set?

The number of subsets for a given set can be calculated using the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the set. This formula works for all types of subsets, including those with repetition and those without repetition.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

The main difference between permutations and combinations is that permutations take into account the order of the elements in the subset, while combinations do not. Permutations are used when the order matters, while combinations are used when the order does not matter.

4. Can counting methods for subsets be used for real-life problems?

Yes, counting methods for subsets can be used for real-life problems in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. They are particularly useful in probability and statistics, where they can be used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in an experiment or event.

5. Are there any limitations to counting methods for subsets?

One limitation of counting methods for subsets is that they can become very complex and time-consuming when dealing with large sets or when repetition is involved. In addition, they may not always be applicable to real-life problems, as some problems may have unique constraints or factors that cannot be easily translated into a counting method.