Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counting phone numbers

1. Nov 12, 2004 #1

THA

Problem details:
    I think if I pretend that N is also a number from 0-9, then there would be P(10, 7) numbers without repeats, but then that's too much and I'm not sure how I can subtract the number's that N is not supposed to have. The other way I was thinking is the last 6 numbers can be chosen P(10, 6) without repeat's but then I'm not sure how I can choose the number of N. Can someone provide some help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2004 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How many single digit numbers with no repeated digits?
    What about two, three, four etc.?

Also, it might be easier to figure out how many possible 7 digit numbers there are, and then subtract off the ones starting with 0 or 1.

4. Nov 12, 2004 #3

THA

It's regular 7-digit phone number, none of the 7 digit's can repeat. If that's not what you meant, then please clarify.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm not really sure how to count the number's that start with 0 or 1. Would it be something like: P(10,7) - 2*P(10,6) ?

5. Nov 12, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's what NateTG means : Forget for now that you have a 7 digit number and look at the following.

How many ways of finding a 1-digit number ? That's easy : 10 ways. Any number from 0..9 can be used.
    How many 2-digit numbers without repeats ? Okay, I can put any of the10 numbers in the ten's place, and having used up this number, I can put any of the remaining 9 numbers in the unit's place. So there's 90 possibilities or P(10,2)
    In this 2-digit number, if the ten's digit had to be only one of 2..9, I can fill that spot in 8 ways, and the units spot in...still only 9 ways.

And so on...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?