Counting Principles: 15 Ways Explained

• Thread starter Seneka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of organizing 4 distinct toys into 3 different boxes. The first situation involves using all three boxes, resulting in 6 ways. The second situation involves using only two boxes, resulting in 6 ways. The third situation involves using only one box, resulting in 3 ways. However, the sum of these different ways is 15, which is incorrect. The problem seems to be missing the information about the toys being distinguishable, as one toy may have eaten its neighbor. This problem is also known as the "Balls in boxes" problem or finding the number of non-negative solutions to an equation.
Seneka
Homework Statement
Q: State how many ways distinguishable toys can be put into three distinguishable boxes.
A: 81
Relevant Equations
-
I thought the number of ways would be dependant upon the number of toys.

Since the number of toys isn't given I tried taking into the different ways you can order using different number of boxes.

First situation:

They can use all three boxes 3x2x1=6.

Second situation:

They can only use two boxes so 3choose2 x2= 6

Third situation:

They can only use one box so there are three ways as in you put all the toys in one box.

The sum of these different ways are 15 which isn't correct.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert on combinatorics or counting-principles, but the problem seems not sufficiently described.

symbolipoint said:
I'm not an expert on combinatorics or counting-principles, but the problem seems not sufficiently described.

That's what I thought too. I just posted it to see if there was some interpretation of the question to make sense of the answer.

This problem is usually called the problem of "Balls in boxes" , or the number of no negative solutions to ##x_1+x_2+...+x_n =k ##. Haven't you seen this in class?

What are the 15 ways that counting principles can be explained?

The 15 ways that counting principles can be explained are: counting by ones, counting by twos, counting by fives, counting by tens, counting by hundreds, counting by thousands, counting by tens of thousands, counting by hundreds of thousands, counting by millions, counting by billions, counting by trillions, counting by fractions, counting by decimals, counting by percentages, and counting by exponents.

What is the fundamental counting principle?

The fundamental counting principle states that if there are m ways to do one task and n ways to do another task, then there are m x n ways to do both tasks together.

What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations are ordered arrangements of a set of objects, while combinations are unordered selections of a set of objects. Permutations take into account the order in which the objects are arranged, while combinations do not.

What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.

What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected.